• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this true or false about coins in plastic??

10 posts in this topic

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here? If its what I think you are, I worry more about the coin, or at least always try to. I collect FBL Franklins, and if the holder says FBL but I don't agree than I will pass.

depends on the collecting or resale aspect of it.

i am working on a 1955 pf cameo set and i want pf64-67 cameo. but if i feel a coin will fit in set and the label doesnt state those numbers i will still purchase. if i have to in end i will crack all out and they will match :P

Worry less about what holder the coin is in and more about the actual quality of the coin.

My personal experience is always buy the coin and not the plastic. (thumbs u

Buy the coin not the holder. As long as your coin is in the holder of the top 4 TPG's recoognized by ebay and Teletrade you have nothing to worry about. You need to take responsibility and do your own homework so you can pick your coins based on your own preferences. In Numismatics, he who has knwoledge is king. As you grow there may be some tuition along the way. This is normal and has been experienced by all of us.

Already said 3 times above, but after years of being a true believer in the all mighty slab, I can now attest to the validity of the statement; "BUY THE COIN, NOT THE HOLDER". I can't overemphasize this. Many very knowledgable people here and through private posts have educated me in the past few months and I now have had my faith shaken a bit. Too many inconsistencies, varying standards, inaccuraices (did I spell that right) fakes.... and in sum...too many potholes to blindly put your faith in the slab. Do they do a service for the collector? Yes, in that chances are better that you will get what you are paying for if you don't know what to look for (or watch out for) in your coin purchases, but the slab is no guaranty. The graders are human too and many a mistake has been made. I made a few not-so-hot purchases (!) because the slab was what made me comfortable with the coin when I looked at and liked a coin. "Oh, this is certified MS 64 so it must be a nice coin". That logic won't hold water with me any more.

Where it becomes tricky is for us collectors that don't have the opportunities to examine a coin "in hand" ,nor the expertise in assessing a coin's qualities and weaknesses. E-Bay and Teletrade, as mentioned in a post above, can be very good sources for certified coins but that doesn't guaranty that the coin is accurately graded. It's a pain and an expense (not to mention the disappointment factor) when something has to be returned because the coin doesn't pass muster. I've picked up a bunch of stuff on e-Bay, mostly pretty good purchases in past years, but I've gotten a few clunkers too, and I have just recently started the Teletrade thing. My 1 U.S. coin purchase (PCGS) so far on Teletrade worked out OK...not wonderful, because the golden toning apparent in the photo is all but invisible on the actual coin. Photos can be exceedingly deceptive, though probably unintentionally.

In sum, Slabs are great...BUT, to rely on them blindly is a significant mistake and one that can cost you dearly. I'm sure that everyone reading this thread can vouch for that. I'll bet there are some great stories out there...

RI AL

Worry less about what holder the coin is in and more about the actual quality of the coin.

My personal experience is always buy the coin and not the plastic. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Already said 3 times above, but after years of being a true believer in the all mighty slab, I can now attest to the validity of the statement; "BUY THE COIN, NOT THE HOLDER". I can't overemphasize this. Many very knowledgable people here and through private posts have educated me in the past few months and I now have had my faith shaken a bit. Too many inconsistencies, varying standards, inaccuraices (did I spell that right) fakes.... and in sum...too many potholes to blindly put your faith in the slab. Do they do a service for the collector? Yes, in that chances are better that you will get what you are paying for if you don't know what to look for (or watch out for) in your coin purchases, but the slab is no guaranty. The graders are human too and many a mistake has been made. I made a few not-so-hot purchases (!) because the slab was what made me comfortable with the coin when I looked at and liked a coin. "Oh, this is certified MS 64 so it must be a nice coin". That logic won't hold water with me any more.

Where it becomes tricky is for us collectors that don't have the opportunities to examine a coin "in hand" ,nor the expertise in assessing a coin's qualities and weaknesses. E-Bay and Teletrade, as mentioned in a post above, can be very good sources for certified coins but that doesn't guaranty that the coin is accurately graded. It's a pain and an expense (not to mention the disappointment factor) when something has to be returned because the coin doesn't pass muster. I've picked up a bunch of stuff on e-Bay, mostly pretty good purchases in past years, but I've gotten a few clunkers too, and I have just recently started the Teletrade thing. My 1 U.S. coin purchase (PCGS) so far on Teletrade worked out OK...not wonderful, because the golden toning apparent in the photo is all but invisible on the actual coin. Photos can be exceedingly deceptive, though probably unintentionally.

In sum, Slabs are great...BUT, to rely on them blindly is a significant mistake and one that can cost you dearly. I'm sure that everyone reading this thread can vouch for that. I'll bet there are some great stories out there...

RI AL

best overall post of the last 4 months on these here boards

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

In the year when all oil if finally used up and we start mining plastic those slabs may be worth something, but until then I will purchase the coin on its own merits

(except when copper is involved as I have recently been reminded by a prominent board member that I know squat about copper and should only buy slabbed copper). I have taken his opinion to heart.

Jim