• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Roger Cohen collection

5 posts in this topic

I just picked up a copy of Superior's 1992 auction of the Roger Cohen Half Cent collection. Quite a collection. Tons of goods, fines, very fines etc...

Don't you find it interesting that one of THE experts on Half Cents had a GREAT collection that wasn't packaged and graded MS 6X....?????

The very guy who wrote the book!

The one that certifying agencies use to attribute submissions...using HIS numbers!

Doesn't that say something???????

Mike,

I am sorry to say there will probably be no great collection of coppers on the marketplace like this one after a generation of slab collectors and dealers get their hands on original coins. You can bet, most high grade coppers will now be curated by some of the coin doctors just to get them to slab a point or two higher. The coin doctor has surely destroyed US coins for future generations. So look at as many original coins as possible today, because most original coins will be extinct in 10 years.

PS: that goes for better date early gold also.

TRUTH

The coin doctor has surely destroyed US coins for future generations. So look at as many original coins as possible today, because most original coins will be extinct in 10 years.

No, the coin investor has destroyed these coins. If I can just get this coin to go from MS67BN to MS67RB I can get 284 more points and I'll move from 2nd place to 1st place and I [!@#%^&^] win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger was an older middle class guy with young family who was more concerned about completing his collection than have a huge number of finest known examples. Having said that a great many copper collectors thought that Superior low balled the grades on a lot of his coins. The "old" Superior often did that perhaps to drum up some more bids among collectors who might have thought that they had spotted some undergraded coins in the sale.

Roger was real down to earth guy, and you would have never guessed how important he was to the development of half cent collecting when you met him. He was always friendly and fun to meet, and those of us who were acquainted with him miss him very much.

.....The "old" Superior often did that perhaps to drum up some more bids among collectors who might have thought that they had spotted some undergraded coins in the sale.

Not a suprise since the "old" Superior (ie Goldberg's) did the same thing with the Benson Collection...even with all the hairlined pieces... laugh.gif

jom