• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite coin purchased in 2008.

62 posts in this topic

Whoa, I need to change the batteries in my keyboard. I do know "Bobby" has three Bs. Ignore the other missed key strokes!

Better 2 "B's" than 2 "O's" lol

Funny you should mention that. My wife gets a kick out of the Texas Numismatic Association show when it's in town, because she can tell her friends I'm going to the TNA show.

Of course, T&A alludes to something else that Booby, err Bobby, mentioned.

Happy New Year, everyone!

:banana:

Yep super photography work. Its a tough choice to pick one, both Jackson's Liberty and Van Buren's Liberty I love. Most of all Jackson's Liberty. Interesting to note the number of coins of the type in other peoples favourites. The original coins look amazing :D

My one favourite then.. I love them all.. Ok it would have to be this.

2006S San Francisco $5 Old Mint PF70 Ultra Cameo

3085446-032R.jpg

Dang it, Doug! (worship) I think that I hate ya just a little! lol

That is one gorgeous dollar!!! I think it still retains some luster even! :cloud9:

WoW! Those are really exceptional pictures! I love that photoshop, too. What program is it?

Was this directed at me? I don't want to ignore the question but I also don't want to be too presumptuous and think you were just complimenting me.

WoW! Those are really exceptional pictures! I love that photoshop, too. What program is it?

Was this directed at me? I don't want to ignore the question but I also don't want to be too presumptuous and think you were just complimenting me.

Yes, it was, you most humble gentleman. :grin:

I saw this coin in a red book in 2006 and wanted it and this year I decided to go ahead and get it (calling it a birthday present to myself). It's one of 3 gold coins I added this year. I'm proud to have all 3 but this is definitely the best IMO. PF70UC, though the picture may not reflect it well because of lighting and the slab.

71141.jpg.76b4c165bf251c4b38c151841abb9617.jpg

71142.jpg.ec8edd5c90ceb9d857797199d7fde4db.jpg

Yes, it was, you most humble gentleman. :grin:

Yeah, one of those NY Resolutions is continuing my attempts to be less presumptuous/arrogant/etc.

Anyway, the photos were taken on an old Canon Rebel 350D with a relatively cheap-o Quantaray 70-300 mm macro lens. The First Spouse was taken of the coin (I briefly removed the top of the capsule to avoid glare) while the Panda was taken through a slab. I learned between the spouse and panda that to get the black fields on a proof, you aim the flash up.

The processing was just done in Photoshop. Adjusted curves, color, etc. to try to get it to look as it does in-hand, and that included some airbrushing of lint on the panda (yes, I admit it). The effects were also done in Photoshop, just some fairly simple circular marquees that were feathered around the border and then filled white or black. The reflections had a black gradient overlaid to let them fade out. I admit that it's somewhat of a copy of someone else's template (can't remember who, want to say spacemonkey) but I created it on my own just from observing his.

It's a toss up between this proof half

1853_arrows_and_rays_proof.jpg

this proof set

1859_proof_set_comp.jpg

and this proof set

1858_transitional_pattern__copy.jpg

I'm sorry I can't resist:

:mad: SHOW OFF! :boo:

Great coins man. Seriously, beyond words.

Boiler, you broke the rules of this thread. NO MORE THAN 3 COINS TOTAL. (tsk) I'm sorry but the penalty is you have to send me all the coins in your images that are above that number, e.g. 17 of those coins. :insane:

I just read Mark Goodman's book, "Numismatic Photography", (highly recommended, btw) and he routinely uses photo software to make the coin resemble the coin in hand. I think it is acceptable and I, too, will photoshop lint out of the picture. As long as it is true to the coin then I have no problem with that.

I routinely use my Canon software for my editing although I do have photoshop 4.0 elements, I gave up using it the first week since it was so finicky. I love the mirror effect, though.

Boiler, I wanna be just like you when I grow up! :luhv:

I have the constitution too, another awesome gold commem :) I am building a modern commem proof 70 set so the easy ones come first

The ones I picked up this year were the Constitution, the San Francisco Mint, and the Madison/Bill of Rights commem. I'm not interested in the entire set, just the ones I think make for good designs.