• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An amazing "MS66" Texas commem, though the images don't even hint at it.

13 posts in this topic

I was thrilled to find this coin in the on-line-only section of the upcoming FUN sale. I grade it a solid and spectacular looking MS67, with a shot at MS68. Under the circumstances, I was hoping I could buy it reasonably.

But alas, I bid a bit over $1500 hammer (for a stinking MS66 common date Texas) and have been outbid. :pullhair:

:(

I`ve been watching that coin for a while. My #1 pick from the FUN auctions. I`m out, and I`m glad it`s now and not in 2 weeks!
Curiously, what caused you to pick it? From the images, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, though in person, it looks like an under-graded monster.

I think it has a great look to it. I love the toning. Also as a collector, sometimes I will have 3-4 coins of the same commem. Like a white coin, then medium toned and then a very toned coin. I put them in a row and I like the way they look. Sort of like toning progression. I have a white Texas 66 star and a medium toned 67 and will someday get a very toned one. But I`m kind of glad it went that high because there`s a commem that just came on Ebay that I also really want!

Unless it was temporarily out of the box at the time I was there, I would have seen it. But for whatever reason, I did not make notes or bid on it. My guess is that I didn't like the dark toning at the right obverse border.

That is one gorgeous coin, Mark. I just traded an 1938S MS65 Texas Commemorative yesterday with HJB that I thought was a beautifully toned coin, But this one puts it to shame.

Here was my coin.

Jim

1938STexasCommemorative-1.jpg

I have always thought the Texas commems are underrated. They are hardly rare, but the design has been unfairly called "too crowded" by various critics over the years. Aesthetically, I find it very pleasing.