• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this an accented hair?

10 posts in this topic

There's also something about the "I" in liberty on the Obv too Ant. I think the accented hair has the little leg/serrif that sticks out from the bottom right.

I added the pic of the one I had. The "I" is usually the fastest way to tell the difference.

1964ProofSetkennedyAccentedhair.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Also, notice how in the photo the hairs above Kennedy's ear catch the light more so than the others and how they form a broken wishbone or letter Y pattern, with the base directly above his ear. These are the engraved hairlines that comprise the Accented Hair, and they clearly evident in the photo.

When examining a candidate coin under a light, hold it so that Kennedy's face is pointing away from the light and then tilt it downward until the coin is almost at the same angle as the light rays. This will best catch the extra hairlines.