• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish....

14 posts in this topic

....I could afford this. It is a 1953S graded by NGC at 63FBL. The last (PCGS) 63FBL sold for $4400, and I was hoping that with the recession and the rumored bear market in coins that I could scoop this one up for a bit cheaper than that. I was blown way out of the water. :sorry:

The 1953S is the king of Full Bell Line Franklin halves. NGC has only certified 5 or 6, and PCGS has certified just over 30 (of these, many would not meet true FBL standards). This coin is a major rarity, and every time I see it offered it goes for thousands more than the previous offering. Of course, one only comes up once a year if that. The price record for a Franklin half is a PCGS 66FBL that went for $69k.

All S mint Franklins in FBL are hard to come by, but the 1953S is in a class of its own.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2632&lot=1577

c26321577-a.jpg

Its just two little spots and they don't bother me too much. Actually, that was another reason I was hoping I might be able to get it for about $3k.

As I don't know about this series at all, those spots bother me much more than FB/NFB designation. hm

doh! I keep forgetting, you don't see any spots when it comes to registry points!

I participate in the registry, and I enjoy it immensely. However, I am not all about points. I think a quick look at my registry set should prove that. I wanted a FBL '53S because it is a rare and desirable coin. There are plenty of coins worth much more pointwise than a 63FBL. But I'm a FBL collector, and this is important to me. The FBL to me is much more important than a couple of spots which I don't think are too bad, especially on a 63. There's a reason it graded 63, after all. But if I'm ever going to get one of these, I know I'll never be able to afford a 64. Heck, the 63 would have been my entire coin budget for all of 2009.

To each his/her own.

Even though Franklins are my favorite series that one does very little for me. For 2 reasons, first, and most obviously, the spots are a major detraction IMO.

Second, and more importantly, I think the whole FBL thing is a bad joke anyhow. I would MUCH rather buy a coin that is 98% all there FBLwise for a fraction of the cost of the FBL coin IF the coin is visually appealing. I have seen a well struck '53-S that did not have the FBL designation. I KNOW what a well struck Franklin is supposed to look like, so I could have bought that coin, which was pricey (the owner knew what he had), but certainly WAY less expensive than one with the official designation. It was a "white" coin so it didn't particularly do it for me.

In any case, I hope Jason that you eventually can get one if that is indeed what floats your boat.

I collected Franklin half dollars when I was sophomore in college. Sophomore means wise fool, and I was fool with those coins. I lost my shirt on them (only got back half of what I paid.). What was called “Choice Uncirculated” when I bought them turned into “a book full of bottom of the roll coins” when I tried to sell them. I learned my lesson and have shied away from modern sets of coins, except Proof sets, since then.

I don’t care for the two “carbon spots” on that coin one bit. It’s the kind of thing that “doesn’t matter” when you are buying, but turns into “a major problem” when you are selling. I’d take a couple of bags marks over those spots anytime.

Before I sold my MS64 FBL Franklin collection , the 53-S FBL was the one coin that brought my charge to a complete halt, with that big empty hole in the set .

It was just too pricey for a modern coin with a designation for me to fund . I sold my set and went after FS Jeffersons . I feel your pain , where it comes to finding one of these that won't wreck your entire hobby budget.

I did find one in a raw set I purchased that looked to be FBL , but under a loop it had the notorious weak area inside to outer curve on the edge , which would have prevented it from a TPG designation. As Skyman said, it was over-all a very nice coin w/out the designation making worth holding onto in my Dansco set , but I know what you are saying ...it just isn't the same with out it when you have set a 'set' parameter for your registry collection.

Keep your eyes open and I hope you find one. If you win a lottery , you could always get on Tomaska's waiting list ....sorry I hadda...but , Jason , if I ever come across another one , raw , that looks like a candidate , I'll keep you in mind and PM you the info and let you take it from there , if that helps any.

-John

Its just two little spots and they don't bother me too much. Actually, that was another reason I was hoping I might be able to get it for about $3k.

give me the 3K, and I'll keep on the lookout for ya