• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you see the silver center on the front page of CW ?

11 posts in this topic

Wow, some collector snagged a silver center cent in a police auction ???

Incredible....and for 400 bucks ?

Check out the front page of this weeks Coin World.....

Paul

Saw the article. Some people have all the luck. VERY interesting find and the first time I have seen a picture of one. Breen references them in "Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins" but there is no picture.

Great picture and article, Coindude. Appreciate the information. That Miss Liberty on the 1792 is butt ugly, but what a fabulous coin!

I still can't help but think that with such a small known population that examination of past auction sales may turn up a pedigree for this coin and possibly track how it managed to get into a police auction. I'm thnking collection stolen in one jurisdiction and recovered i another but with no good way to track and identify stolen coins especially from other areas they just weren't able to identify the owner so it got sold at auction. Eventually if the proper owner is identified, he come wanting his coin back.

The article mentions an 1804 silver dollar. Given the choice to own either an 1804 or the silver-center cent for the rest of my life, I'd take the cent hands down!

Really? Over a choice Class I 1804 dollar? I would much rather have the dollar. Its far more famous, and looks much better. Its also silver, and its big. Value considerations aside, I would definitely choose the dollar!

Oh, that's a tough one.....

"Parent of Science & Industry" has stood out for me since I was a kid.....But an 1804.....Oh boy....Now if you were to throw in a '13 nickel, that's it for me.....A 1913 Lib nick.....

Paul

I'd take the cent in a heartbeat over a Class III 1804 dollar, but I would have to debate a bit between it and a Class I. Yes the 1804 dollar is a fantasy, but it did have an important historical reason for existing, especially the King of Siam and the Muscat of Oman pieces. The other Class I's are of lesser importance. (Although the Mickley specimen directly out of the Mint collection does have a little more appeal than the other also rans.)