• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inexpensive Coin cabinet

24 posts in this topic

One of these days I'm gonna make me a nice coin cabinet with some real wood. I was thinking cedar but I'm afraid the odor from cedar may be harmful to my coins??? Anyway, I went to target and bought these stackable cabinets. This is 3 put together. The bottom 2 cabinets are 2-drawer and then the top door cabinet is the third. The only modification I had to do were the drawer bottoms which only consisted of the hard cardboard that they think can hold any kind of weight. I slatted some boards under those and screwed them into the sides of the drawers. Pretty stout now. Anyway, I thought they looked kind of nice and makes it much easier access to my coins than trying to find them in a small metal filing cabinet. $30.00 for ea. cabinet, total of $90 plus taxes. What ya think??

newcoincabinet004.jpg

newcoincabinet003.jpg

Nice cabinet, looks very good. As you mention, different woods, varnishes, and glues can impact your coins differently. In this one, I would be cautious of the glue in the particle board. Just check your coins somewhat often and monitor any changes. It should be ok though.

Very nice!

Thanks Physics. I know that these have a pretty hard paintjob that covers the particle board. You think that glue could still effect them?
I don't know a whole lot about this area. Maybe some of the other guys could tell you more. I just normally treat everything as a hazard to my coins. Wood, varnish, glue, paint, etc., I always treat as suspect, even if they might not be. And when I say the glue might affect them, I'm not talking about actual glue getting on them - I'm referring to vapors and outgassing from the glue in the atmosphere. The first bellweather, the canary you might say, will be your proof coins. If you start noticing them get a little hazy, then you know extra precautions need to be taken.

if you have kids (even if you don't), be sure to secure that cabinet to the wall. Bad things happen people around such tall pieces of heavily-laden furniture that are not secured to the wall.

if you have kids (even if you don't), be sure to secure that cabinet to the wall. Bad things happen people around such tall pieces of heavily-laden furniture that are not secured to the wall.

Thanks for the advice, already did! (thumbs u

Thanks guys. It does help me get to everything fairly easily. I found myself looking at some of my proof sets again that were such a hassle in the old cabinet.

Lots of space in there, Bsshog! Seems to do the job nicely.

As an alternative for an inexpensive coin cabinet, at Wal-Mart recently they had some tall metal gun cabinets that I would consider. I'd estimate height at about 5', with adjustable plastic shelves and1 large locking door. There were several removeable little plastic cubbies that hung on the door. For lack of a better explaination, the locking mechanism was of the type with movable rods that secured the locked door to the top and bottom of the frame so it couldn't be pried open. (I guess that since it is really a gun cabinet, this makes good sense.) I couldn't find the gun safe on the WalMart site, but Cabelas.com has similar for in the $200 range.

Accessing coins wouldn't be as easy as with bsshog's cabinet, but there would be no worries about glue, resins and the like and the thing locks securely. I'm thinking I should have bought the WalMart one though I certainly would never even close to fill it!

RI Al

Lots of space in there, Bsshog! Seems to do the job nicely.

As an alternative for an inexpensive coin cabinet, at Wal-Mart recently they had some tall metal gun cabinets that I would consider. I'd estimate height at about 5', with adjustable plastic shelves and1 large locking door. There were several removeable little plastic cubbies that hung on the door. For lack of a better explaination, the locking mechanism was of the type with movable rods that secured the locked door to the top and bottom of the frame so it couldn't be pried open. (I guess that since it is really a gun cabinet, this makes good sense.) I couldn't find the gun safe on the WalMart site, but Cabelas.com has similar for in the $200 range.

Accessing coins wouldn't be as easy as with bsshog's cabinet, but there would be no worries about glue, resins and the like and the thing locks securely. I'm thinking I should have bought the WalMart one though I certainly would never even close to fill it!

RI Al

I thought about a gun cabinet myself, but my only problem is the weight of these things. They can be pretty hard to move by one's self. Otherwise, I think they would be great.

Good morning, bsshog40.

I might make a wal-mart run today to see if it is still there. I don't think that the weight is that substantial. The walls are not thick at all and while I didn't try to move it, I got the impression that it didn't weigh that much. If I had to estimate, I'd go with 60-65 pounds. The similar looking one at Cabelas.com is 64 pounds.

Good morning, bsshog40.

I might make a wal-mart run today to see if it is still there. I don't think that the weight is that substantial. The walls are not thick at all and while I didn't try to move it, I got the impression that it didn't weigh that much. If I had to estimate, I'd go with 60-65 pounds. The similar looking one at Cabelas.com is 64 pounds.

No that weight wouldn't be bad at all. Probably no heavier than these cabinets put together. If ya get one, post some pics RI AL!

Thanks Irvin!!

i find mine at furniture places durring sales and floor models. i got this one for 40$ glass and wood with light. there is also a taller one i got for 30$ due to the doors didnt close right (tiny lil bit off)

forumcoins002-15.jpg

forumcoins003-15.jpg

sorry for fuzzy pics i couldnt find cam without the zoom lens.