• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q.D.Bowers knows who's coins are orginal

7 posts in this topic

Mr. Bowers artical titled "What constitutes value" 12-8-03

In Coin World Q.D. Bowers talks about coins that have been cleaned and harshly cleaned by collectors and curators of some of the most well known collection.

U.S, Mint collection: “Mint Collection in the early 20th century,” “each of the silver coins had been cleaned with polish at least three or four times”. I wonder how many times by now.

King Farouk collection: You know the 1804 Dollar, 1913 Nickel guy.

Liked his coins bright and shiny.

“used silver polish to clean all of his coins,” “In particular, large numbers of copper patterns” “and are now certified with numbers such as Proof 63 to 65”

Got any original copper patterns?

David knows where all the skeletons are buried.

Glen

Yes, King Farouk really knew how to treat his coins. He ruined them.

Anyway...didn't he own the 1933 Saint at one time?

No, he owned a 1933 Saint at one time. Whether or not it is this "legal" one is up to strong debate.

The CoinWorld article said he did. He shipped it home and got written permission from the govt. before anyone realized it's signicance. That's how it became semi-legal to own.

At least, that's how I remember the article.

The CoinWorld article said he did. He shipped it home and got written permission from the govt. before anyone realized it's signicance. That's how it became semi-legal to own.

At least, that's how I remember the article.

The real question is, is the 1933 Saint that was recently legalized and sold the coin that King Farouk owned or another 1933 Saint that escaped? some people think that becuase the coin sold was not cleaned/polished that it wasn't owned by KF. Others say he didn't clean his gold coins. What happens if a polished 1933 Saint shows up on the market with a SOLID link to KF? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought the one that was legalized was because the govt. thought it was the one that KF exported with all the right papers. If another shows up with more provenance what happens to the original? It could be a real mess.

One that I'd love to deal with laugh.gif