• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New raw 1879 Morgan..grading opinions please

7 posts in this topic

I don't usually buy raw Morgans, but felt like I got a good deal on this one. There's some cool die cracks from the 'F' in OF to the 'M' in AMERICA....and pretty much across the whole top of AMERICA...and I wish I could get them to show. I scanned it this way to show what marks there are on it....the luster IS there and it's a nice white coin.

1879O.jpg1879R.jpg

21 views and not a single comment…sometimes it’s like pulling teeth to get anyone to say anything good/bad about a coin, so at least this will get it started.

Definitely a good MS condition Morgan, sometimes scans throw people off because it’s not a true representation of the coin in hand, so it becomes a best guess at best.

Lots of detail going on with this coin but I’m not a Vammer, best left up to those experts.

Still a nice Morgan.

Well since you are trying to smoke us out, Jefferson, I'll be the skunk in the parlor. I think the coin is an AU by wear. The breast feathers on the reverse show distinct wear, and I think the mint frost is broken on Ms. Liberty’s cheek. I’m no too sure about the luster, but given that it’s from scan I’ll reserve judgment on the surfaces.

Sometimes you don’t want to say bad things to good new collectors. I didn’t care for the piece as an Unc., but the poster thought it was so I didn’t say anything.

Might make AU

Lack of luster

No Breast detail

Damage/Hit to breast

Damage/hits to cheek

Funny mark in the WT in the IGWT

I'm gonna have to agree with AU here also. The breast feathers seem to be weak and I don't think this peticular year was a victim of weak strikes. Overall a decent looking Morgan tho'.

I'm by no means a skilled grader, but based on what i know about the Morgan Dollar itself, i'd have to agree with the other members here who said that the coin would grade "AU".

A "Mint State" coin would show more luster and less evidence of wear. I see a little bit of wear on the top hairlines and the feathers on the eagles breast have a flat look to them although not completely flat.

There also appears to be some bag marks on the front cheek of the morgan which also would keep the grade lower than what you'd like to have.

A generous grade would be MS-60 but i wouldn't expect NGC to give you that.

AU-55 is probably what you'd see here.

Some morgans do have weak strikes when it comes to the breast feathers and i think this is true of some of the New Orleans Morgans. The later dated Morgans seem to have a Metallic look to them, like the 1904 and 1921 issues.

The only thing that really bothers me here on your 1879 is the flatness of the eagles breast the flantness of the top hairlines on the front face. It's a nice looking piece, but i think the best grade you'd get here would be MS-60 if you got lucky.

I'm assuming that the coin hasn't been cleaned or polished in any way as well.

I"m going to go with AU 55. Some noticable hits but decent looking as far as wear. it's the "color" that bothers me just a bit but I suspect that it is because of the photo.