• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coin in your collection did you Positively had to have :) ??

34 posts in this topic

A little reverse of Michael's question ...

THE COIN

Was it a coin to complete a set or series of coins ...

Was Monetary constraints an issue concerning said coin/s ...

Is this coin/s going to be a 2009 purchase and show a picture of said coin ...

Mine is pretty OBVIOUS ....

I had 9 out of 10 coins of my 1883 Proof Set - I believe this would have been a PF66CAM coin if it were not for the scratch on the obverse surface - it is a 65cam in holder ( the Picture kinda over emphasizes the scratch )

I purchased this one from ANACONDA so it did cost me a little more than I wanted to pay because of the color ( Thanks Brandon ) but I still do not regret it

to this day ... it is now the Marquee coin of the set BECAUSE of the color!

70635.jpg.e596f8bf550e8e5ef226ad3a8d178a55.jpg

70636.jpg.fcd511c1f1c15707df4cb321ab46bc9f.jpg

The latest acquisition for me was this 1795 large cent in PCGS MS-62, brown. About 20 years ago I sold a very similar piece and began to regret it a couple years later. I looked and looked for a comparable example of this coin, but found that this common variety which is supposed to be "very common" in Mint State is not that easy to locate. At least it's hard to find them without mint caused planchet problems.

I bought this one at the November Baltimore show despite the fact that the economy is going down the tubes. It was probably a stupid move, but I just could not resist. It was the first piece I had seen that I really liked, AND it was a little nicer than the one I sold many years ago.

The variety is Sheldon 76B. This is an early die state example, which means that there is a good chance that it was one of a run of 45,000 pieces that mint made of this variety during the very last days of 1795. Earlier George Washington had exercised a power given to him by Congress to lower weight of the cent and half cent. The resulting coins were too thin for edge lettering, and that feature was henceforth omitted.

1795centO2.jpg1795centR2.jpg

Second honors go to this 1795 eagle. It completed my "two piece" set of small eagle gold. I had bought the half eagle last year. I never dreamed that I would ever own an example of the small eagle gold coin, let alone two examples.

1795EagleOA.jpg1795EagleRA.jpg

Two fabulous coins Bill Thanks for sharing

After putting up those two, I'll just slink back into the corner. :o

NO NO! Please don't. Show us what you have.

P.S. I've blown my coin budget, and will probably have a very low profile this year.

robec1347...

move over...I think I'll join you in your corner if you don't mind the company.

What coin did I HAVE to have? Been thinking a while about this and have no answer really. It seems that when I bought something, I HAD to have it. In my show attending days, I would go with 1 or 2 goals in mind. If I found what I was looking for, then I guess I HAD to have it (or them).

The coin I never thought I'd own but did finally get because of fast computer fingers was my Chain cent. I HAD to have one of those, but never thought the opportunity would present itself.

Here is one that I had my eye on for many months. While many dislike the depiction of the eagle on the reverse of the Bridgeport commemorative, I think it is a great example of Art Deco design.

70637.jpg.0b91ea4acb9753e7337315aba918a395.jpg

Well, I guess I had to have all that I do have, but here are a couple that I wanted a little worse. Even as bad as I wanted them, I would gladly trade them and more for Bill's. (worship)

1913PFT1obv_009-1.jpg

1913PFT1rev_006-1.jpg

1911blayobv041-1.jpg

1911blayrev051-1.jpg

Although not the most expensive or rarest in my collection, when the US Mint announced this one, I knew there was absolutley no doubt in my mind I would own one of these....

I still find myself taking one out and gazing at it every now and then, even more than the gold version. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and thought the buffalo nickel was just so neat. You know, cowboys and Indians stuff...

I can just imagine in my head one of these with an 1890 date and all worn and tattered like an old morgan dollar gets......a what if....

2001buff.jpg

MM

A little reverse of Michael's question ...

THE COIN

Was it a coin to complete a set or series of coins ...

Was Monetary constraints an issue concerning said coin/s ...

Is this coin/s going to be a 2009 purchase and show a picture of said coin ...

Mine is pretty OBVIOUS ....

I had 9 out of 10 coins of my 1883 Proof Set - I believe this would have been a PF66CAM coin if it were not for the scratch on the obverse surface - it is a 65cam in holder ( the Picture kinda over emphasizes the scratch )

I purchased this one from ANACONDA so it did cost me a little more than I wanted to pay because of the color ( Thanks Brandon ) but I still do not regret it

to this day ... it is now the Marquee coin of the set BECAUSE of the color!

great thread and even more wildier cool trade dollar which you rarely ever see in gem proof with great eye appeal as your coin

I guess there were two coins that grabbed me by the brat and potatoes and wouldn't let go. The first was an 1890 Seated Liberty dime that another collector owned and for years I told him that I wanted first shot at the coin if he ever decided to part with the piece. Well, one day he needed money to buy an Amazonian pattern and he offered it to me; it took no time at all to pull the trigger. The other was an 1892 Barber half that represented a type that I was looking for over the course of several years, yet had never found an acceptable representative. When this coin became available I immediately grabbed it. I apologize for that fact that I have posted both coins numerous times, so folks may not be too interested-

F1890P65.jpg

F1890P65R.jpg

I1892P66.jpgI1892P66R.jpg

Well that is easy, ask mark feld ;)

Kidding aside, this coin I definitley had to have. It is a NGC AU53 CAC 2 1/2 $ 1834 quarter eagle with semi reflective surfaces. It has nice orginianl toning and is a beauty to hold. I love it, and I take it out often just to look at..

Thanks to mark feld for selling to me, as he sells nothing but superb coins. Here's a better picture of it:

2_5g1834c.jpg

Stinky, what a great original gold coin!

TomB, your excellent taste and great eye for coins is in evidence again!

Larry, a super 1857 Flying Eagle!

Bob that 1911 Cent is fantastic!

Great coins one and all!!!!

Here's mine...

PYTIO-BVPLC-02896099-P9010089a.jpg

GRXXO-FREIX-P9010090a.jpg

As fate would have it, it came along at the most difficult of times financially and it was a serious stretch for me.

After this one the rest of them for the "year set" seem a lot easier. ( I ignore the No Arrows Half ;))

Took several years searching for a nice 1810 Classic Head Half Cent in about uncirculated condition. Found this NGC graded AU-53 and it fits perfectly in my Registry set.

1810-b-1.jpg

1810-b-2.jpg

Yes 1810 is one of the sneaky scarce dates that few people recognize. The 1811 half cents get all the glory. I had an EF-40 when I was collecting half cents by die variety.

i dont have it yet but right now my "have to have" would be a pf70 $5 buff

:) I hope you bid high cause it should eventually do 190-200 in my estimation

Good luck