• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's official...new job...

28 posts in this topic

Well, as some of you may know, I've just completed my PhD and I'll be graduating this Friday. I've also landed a great position as a Program Manager at the University of Maryland School of Medicine doing malaria research. Great job...more money... life is grand...

In the spirit of graduation, and not just mine... post a coin that made you feel like you accomplished something after you got it. Mine is this Trade Dollar for my 7070 type set. I had been looking for one for quite some time but was only finding common date borderline XF coins that had problems... at laest in my price range. I happened upon this at my local B&M shop and pounced...

1873TradeDollarobv01.jpg

[img

WOW…congratulations on the PhD and the new position doing research. There is nothing I have worth posting that would accomplish the comparative task at hand.

Best Wishes.

~Woody~

I have to congratulate anyone who is willing to going through the hoop jumping to earn a PhD. Congratulations, I watched my daughter earn one in Physical Anthropolgy and I have to admire her perseverance as well as yours.

Well, Ike let me just say that I am amazed at your awesome. :) I'm still working on my B.S.

I'm very proud of winning the negotiation for this coin a few month ago and now it's the cornerstone of a #1 set which in another day or so will be among the first of my sets to get a registry award.

70139.jpg.5687092881e0b860b4e79213a931a845.jpg

70140.jpg.bd29b3f4991fbdd31786f53cd1e437a0.jpg

Dr. Ikenefic now? Hoo-rah ! The culmination of determined study and hard work . A research posting that will positively affect many people ( once you get around any and all the patent roadblocks that will attempt to deter the University) !

.....and a nice reward to yourself for the hours spent searching and waiting .

Sounds like you are on your way to actively leaving a positive thumbprint upon society for present and future generations to come ! Congrats!

Congrats on the new degree and the new job!!

There's a lot of malaria in College Park and the UMBC campus. Many students used to walk around campus covered in mosquito netting....at least that’s what they say it is.

Ikenefic

In these difficult times, it's so refreshing to read that someone has really achieved great things and is rewarded for them. Warmest congratulations on the PH.D, and the new job in a very important field. The trade dollar is not too shabby either!!! Well done all around!!

Congratulations!!

Here's a bit of trivia for you.

"Streaking" had its beginnings at the U of M.

It has been a long time since I was there, but there used to be a really good pizza joint, called Lido's, in Adelphi Plaza. Some of the Redskins used to hang out there back in the 60's, and I can remember many times when they had to carry Sonny Jurgensen out of the place.

Good luck and best wishes!

Chris

Congrats on the degree and job -- and the wonderful trade dollar too!

Here's a coin I consider an accomplishment -- it is the fulfilment of a childhood dream to own a chain cent:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

cpm9ball :signofftopic:

Oh goody! A raging controversy!!! :makepoint:

I'm afraid that my University, Florida State, claims to be the birthplace of streaking. I clearly recall the day (but not the date) as my future wife and I were walking through the park to the student union building and whooooosh...the world's first streaker, shortly followed by several others...a few in "Native American war paint"...and that's all. It was quite the historical (and hysterical) day. It went on for a few weeks until one of the young ladies said that she was manhandled by the campus police. It was never proven. :banana:

RI AL FSU graduate, Bachelors and 2 Masters, and a willing observer of the streaking phenomenon... :roflmao:

MikeInFL

Mine isn't as nice as yours, especially in color. Mine is much darker. I consider its aquisition to be one of my major accomplishments as well. Always a dream, it appeared on an online dealer list and by some miracle, I was the first to respond. It's a PCGS F-2, but is one of my treasures. I tried pictures but couldn't get real good images.

chain3-1-1.jpg

chainrev-1-1.jpg

Now we can say, "What's up, Doc" when we pm you, right? Congratulations on a most prestigious position and title. It will be well worth you effort I am sure.

Jim

Nice work in not only finishing up the degree, but even in being able to obtain a position in these difficult economic times.

Tom... Absolutely! I cast a fairly wide net and threw my hat into the ring for many different positions.. post-doc...jr faculty (both teaching and research)...and staff positions. I hit paydirt at U Md. It's a staff position (I'll start off as a Program Manager) but I'll have the oportunity to jump into a HHMI staff scientist position after the first year. Interestingly, I was contacted by no less than six different institutions that "regreted to inform me that funding for the position [to which I had applied] was no longer available". Believe me... I'm not thrilled about moving back to Baltimore, but the research is incredible, the position looks great, the people seem top flight and the pay ain't half bad either... I do feel blessed.

Best Regards,

leo

Well, as some of you may know, I've just completed my PhD and I'll be graduating this Friday. I've also landed a great position as a Program Manager at the University of Maryland School of Medicine doing malaria research. Great job...more money... life is grand...

I hope it's more than a "grand!" lol

Congratulations!

And it's a bit colder in this area than in Arizona!

When you get here, can I suggest a coin club? I know the med school is in Baltimore and do not know where you will live, but there are some very active clubs in the area. The Baltimore Coin Club is the largest club in Maryland. Depending on where you live, there are clubs in Catonsville, Bowie, Ellicot City, and I have to give a plug to the Montgomery County Coin Club that meets in Silver Spring (I am the club's president).

Scott :hi:

I'm up in Flagstaff and it'll be in the teens tonight...snow probably on Sunday... but I will say that 30 degrees in Baltimore definitely feels colder than 30 degrees here!

I'll be renting just a room to begin with for the first 6 mos so I'll be in a bit of flux until my wife and kids arrive in June. But I'll be looking at property in Catonsville and maybe in Howard Co. if we can find something affordable. I'll definitely keep in touch...

Leo

welcome back to Maryland and congrats on your PhD...you might consider looking for living accomodations in Anne Arundel county also...anything south of Annapolis gets rural real fast but there are some nice, quick routes to Baltimore ( missing the beltways)...best of luck, Jackson