• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

type 1? grade? help needed please

10 posts in this topic

this was in my SDB and i actualy like it. its clean and has a nice strike. but i dont know what it would grade. ms63-64?

please and thanks again :)

forumcoins012-3.jpg

forumcoins014-2.jpg

forumcoins013-3.jpg

forumcoins015-1.jpg

forumcoins016-1.jpg

forumcoins017-1.jpg

It looks like it could have a touch of wear on the obverse. This could be an elusion, however. I do see enough little marks to prevent MS64. I would guestimate MS62-3 at best, and AU58 at worst.

The hair appears to be lacking detail of a 64 or 5. The lack of luster also makes me think it wouldn't achieve those grades. Based on what I see in the images...MS62. I would be more than happy to take off your hands however. :)

Well, I hate to rain on the parade, but in my humble opinion, if it is AU, it just barely squeeks by. I know that weakness of strike is sometimes a factor but the Philadelphia issues are usually stronger strikes than the branch mints.There is a bit too much hair wear beneath LIBERTY and on the reverse, the leaves are flattish, lacking outer details on the leaves. Nice coin, but I would go somewhere between XF 45 and AU 50.

Hey, Ant.

I don't know if you are still reading this topic, but I tried to get a picture of my 1853 gold $ to compare yours with. Mine is graded ANACS AU 58. I think you will see more detail in the hair below LIBERTY, as well as more wreath detail on the reverse. I still think you have yourself a nice XF 45 or so.

RI AL

gold2001-1.jpg

gold2002-1.jpg

Sorry, but there is not enough luster on this one to call it Mint State. It has the classic look of an AU gold dollar.

This one is in an MS-64 holder. It looks better in person. This photo catches every problem, but the luster is all there. This is the kind of luster you need for a choice Unc.

1853DollarO.jpg1853DollarR.jpg

thanks you all! these are going to pcgs with my freebies.

and bill that is a very nice lustery coin :P

thanks AL i know mine is low au now :( hair is warn more for sure on my end :P