• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help finding a new type rattler slab

5 posts in this topic

At the Michigan State show this past weekend I was shown an example of a PCGS rattler slab that I was unaware of. (The slab wasn't for sale, and I can't afford a PF-65 1937 Buffalo anyway.) The owner has offered to take pictures of it for me but he doesn't have internet access and I won't see him again until Central States in April.

The new type has a lighter label (he says white instead of green, but with my color vision problem it is too subtle for me to see) and the font is slightly different. I need to do further study but for right now the easiest way to tell the two apart is to look at the lower half of the 3's and 5's.

On the typical rattler the 3 and 5 come down to a point and the 5 is what I call a "high stepper" 5 where it kind of goes up curves around and comes down to a point.

On the new one the bottom of the 3 and 5 is round and circular.

From talking with PCGS and tracing the number on the proof nickel it has been determined that these slabs with the white label and round bottom 5's were produced during PCGS's first six months of operation..

I need to get a good picture of one, or even better procure one for the reference set. If anyone finds one I'd like to know. (Slab output during the early months at PCGS was much lower than today, in the neighborhood of 20 - 40K slabs per month. From total number produced they should show up about one out of every 16 rattlers but I haven't turned one up yet out of two to three hundred rattlers checked.)

Hey, Conder.

I'm not quite sure this is what you are looking for but I MIGHT have found a picture of the old type rattler. There are no 3's to compare, but the 5 seems to match your description.

Teletrade auction 2623, 1909 Proof 65 RD Indian cent. If I'm wrong...sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.

RI AL

No that is the standard type rattler with the "high stepping" 5. The 5 on the one I'm looking for is more along the style of Courier New.