• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strike Designation versus Grade

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I wanted to get other collectors opinion on grade versus strike designation. As most of you are aware, certain series have designations that entail a fully struck specimen, ie FH, FT, FB, FS, FBL, etc. In terms of points for the registry should a higher graded coin be worth less or more than a coin that is one point lower in grade but has the full strike designation like I have laid out below? As it stands now, the points vary between the issue.

Jefferson Nickel MS66FS or MS67

Roosevelt Dime MS67FT or MS68

Mercury Dime MS67FB or MS68

Franklin Half MS66FBL or MS67, etc

I guess it would depend on the coin, If it was the Franklin 1953-s in FBL I would say that the FBL would be better.

Where as if the FBL was pretty common then I would go for the grade.

It is a matter of taste.I am a strike quality and high grade collector.Even in my dime registery I have a ms68 that I keep it on the side,because a ms67*Ft is worth more points and I bought it.Full torches are very hard to come by.Ngc has alot of full torch coins,mainly collectors sent those in,because it brings the money.I went to my local coin show,and looked at over 3000 clad dimes,and I did not find 1 full torch.It was insane.I dont really look for coins that will make a plain MS.My first reaction is to flip over the coin to check the bands.Jeffersons and franklins are beyond my expertise. When I get there,If I ever do I would ,I want 6 step only nickels in high grade.5 steps will do only If there are no 6 steps ever found.My minimum grade will be ms67. Franklins will have to be ms66 Fbl's or better.Franklins really dont have many high grade coins with fbl's

I'm like Paul in this...strike quality is very important to me...I'd rather have a better struck coin than one that is graded higher but has flat areas...there are limits though. I'd never pay $30,000 for a 1945 MS67FB mercury...for $150 an MS67 will work just fine to fill a hole. For some dates the price difference is just ridiculous for what may simply be a tiny nick on a band or bell line...or 10 times as much for one that is "complete"...

So I guess my answer is that I prefer the fuller struck coins, but won't pay a ridiculous premium for a small difference..

I agree and disagree with you on different fronts Jackson.I really dont think a 1945 MS67FB mercury price is 30,000.I think you have too many zeros.I can see 300.00.The only mercury I can see fot that price is a 1916-D.I may need to morgage my house for that 1 coin,when it comes up.I will pay when a pop 1 or 2 coin comes up.Especially roosevelts ms68*fts.These are usually once in a lifetime coins.I can tell you from experience,that you always find a way to come up with alot of money when there is a pop 1 or 2 coin out there.Also I pay a ridiculous premium for a small difference.Resale value will always hold a premium.I use my present money to invest in the future.Coins that is !!!!

I just checked the price guide and the listed value of a 1945 MS67FB is $47,500....that's right...forty-seven thousand 500 dollars......NGC has graded 4,093 1945 dimes and only 20 have gotten FB designation...and only 1 coin was ever graded MS67FB, with none higher..

you couldn't get any 1945 FB for under $1000 I think....I saw that 43-D MS68*FB coin at the Heritage sale, a beautiful coin...but 43-D FB's are common, it is the high grade and exceptional luster ( almost proof-like fields if I remember correctly) that got your dime such high marks...I wondered who had snagged it--nice pick up Paul

I scored the 1944-D Ngc ms68*ft from heritage today.1265.00 with buyers premium.SCORED ! ! ! ! ! .Pop 2 None Higher.What is the book on that one.Now I have decision on my hands.Should I start a high grade mercury set? I wonder how much a high grade set .will cost me. Look at my set now :P.....................

Paul,

If you want to build that Mercury set, you will have to sell me your top population clad Roosevelts to generate the extra income!!! Send me a PM if you ever change your mind! ;)

By the way, those are great Mercury dimes! I want to see pics!