• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Observations on Using €1 and €2 Coins (While in Italy)

8 posts in this topic

I've been in Italy the past week, and while laid over at JFK for another half hour, I thought I would briefly post some observations/comments on using €1 and €2 coins along with the minimum €5 bill.

For a teensy bit of background on my own cash usage habits, I like to use $1 coins whenever possible. If I know I'm going to be spending cash instead of using credit, I'll bring a little ziplock baggie filled with dollar coins to spend. I make a concerted effort to use them.

That being said, actually being required to use them while in Europe was admittedly weird. I found myself paying for a €1.50 gelato with a €5 bill instead of a €1 and €0.50 coin. It was just automatic to use the paper instead of the coins unless I actually remembered that I had them, and they were really worth enough to buy what I wanted.

However, as most opinion polls seem to show, other folks (besides my family) seemed to have no issues with them. Prices in Italian groceries were double-listed as Euros and Lire, but people seemed to have no problems using them for small purchases and giving them or even accepting them as change (unlike in the US where I've seen people refuse dollar or half dollar coins as change).

I found it personally interesting that I use dollar coins when I can but had issues using euro coins. I think it's because, when using dollar coins, it's my intent to do so. I want to get that weird look, I want them to circulate. But when trying to use the euro coins, there was none of that incentive, and it just seemed weird.

Anyway, I have a severe lack of sleep right now so this post may seem pretty weird, but I thought I'd make it and see if you folks have any comments or stories of your own. :foryou:

It sounds like it’s a matter of habit. If they took away the 1$ bill people would fall into the habit of using it.

BTW the US Mint appreciates your hard work!

Gee whiz, I gave the clerk two Sakies the other day at Ace Hardware, the girl said we don't accept Chuckie-Cheeze tokens!

Case closed here in South Texas...if it's not paper, it's not a dollar.

Gee whiz, I gave the clerk two Sakies the other day at Ace Hardware, the girl said we don't accept Chuckie-Cheeze tokens!

Case closed here in South Texas...if it's not paper, it's not a dollar.

I almost have to agree with you WJ. I've never seen one in change and I've occasionally given prez dollars as tips, they just look at them sooo strange! lol

I've traveled in Europe extensively before the Euro, and often the smallest bill was a lot of money (like 10 swiss francs or 20 french francs or 50 danish krona), so it was fine spending those coins, it just struck me as odd that I was actually spending a lot of money just as change, like $8 for lunch (and this was back in the 1990s, when $8 was a LOT for lunch!). I am sure with the Euro it is very similar to what it was back then.

The last time I was in Canada, I used the Loonie and Toonie with no issue. I had no issue with carrying around a pocket of change--no more so than I do here. And I didn't have a wad of singles to unravel, like I do here.

But don't expect this government to stop printing the $1 note. There is no political will to do so.

Scott :hi:

Prices in Italian groceries were double-listed as Euros and Lire,

Six years, almost seven, after the Lire was discontinued and withdrawn from circulation they are still listing prices in Lire?