• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eisenhower Dollars anyone?

17 posts in this topic

Any of you like Ike dollars? This series was one of my very favorites when I was a kid, and I'm back into it again now. Any advice? What's the market doing for Ike dollars?

Thanks!

Mike

grin.gif

The market has been quiet for the last couple years as other areas have recieved attention. There are still a lot of very serious Ike collectors who have been working on their sets and there is still a growing number of them. It may be just about time for these to wake up again. Whenever they do there will be very little new supply coming on the market so there will be little to slow this market.

I like Ike. I have a complete set of 'em in a Dansco. Makes for a heck of a great display! I second what Clad said about their current market activity. I also know that clad MS specimens in Gem UNC is quite tough.

EVP

When I got back into coin collecting in late 1992, I didn't have a lot of money, so I went to many local banks and asked for half dollars and Ike dollars.

In addition to a lot of silver halves, I found the 12 Ikes minted for circulation, a couple of impaired proofs and a bunch to spend.

I must say, people loved to get those Ikes!

I haven't pursued any of the Ikes since then, though. And, I'm not sure you'd be very successful in getting Ikes from banks today, either.

I'll second that. Give a bartenber a couple of Ikes and they will take real good care of you.Works almost every time. I pay about 130 for 100 Ikes from different places but they are worth their weight in gold to me(Speaking semanticly)

I like Ike. I have a complete set of 'em in a Dansco. Makes for a heck of a great display! I second what Clad said about their current market activity. I also know that clad MS specimens in Gem UNC is quite tough.

EVP

Ditto! EVP took the words right out of my mouth. One can purchase the entire collection in uncirculated condition from many different dealers for only $200. What other US collection can beat that price?

Ditto! EVP took the words right out of my mouth. One can purchase the entire collection in uncirculated condition from many different dealers for only $200. What other US collection can beat that price?

State quarters, SBA, Sacagawea, clad Washingtons, entire Roosevelt set, early Jefferson, modern Jefferson, and Memorial Lincolns off the top of my head.

State quarters, SBA, Sacagawea, clad Washingtons, entire Roosevelt set, early Jefferson, modern Jefferson, and Memorial Lincolns off the top of my head.

Greg, I was led to believe "Memorial Lincolns off the top of my head" were sold at a premium due to the fantastic toning they take on due to the products you wear in your hair. gossip.gif

Greg, I was led to believe "Memorial Lincolns off the top of my head" were sold at a premium due to the fantastic toning they take on due to the products you wear in your hair. gossip.gif

Yes, that is true. One day I'll figure out exactly what is in the Jeri Curl that makes the coins tone the way they do.

I wish I could get my Jeffersons to react the same. Until then I guess I'll just have to keep sending them to Marty so you can buy them for $$$. 893whatthe.gif

I've never liked Ikes. Until I found this one in one of the "blue packs" that I've had sitting in a drawer for years. I sent it in to NGC and it came back MS68! I know these aren't worth very much (although I don't exactly know what they are worth), but it sure is pretty.

SSCN1160.JPG

SSCN1162.JPG

I love Ike Dollars. I loved them as a kid when I could get as many as I had money for from the bank. I have just recently started to collect them again and I have tried finding nice ones in Mint sets nad haven't had much luck in finding gem examples. They are a heavy coin and most of the ones that I have are riddled with chatter and marks. For the price of blue and brown Ikes you can still find some pretty nice 40% silver coins. Android that is a really nice Blue Ike.

Actually, I was refering to complete sets. So, the SBA and Sacs are the only two (?) complete runs (no short sets) that is actually less money. Do they count? smile.gif

Actually, I was refering to complete sets. So, the SBA and Sacs are the only two (?) complete runs (no short sets) that is actually less money. Do they count? smile.gif

What about the entire Roosevelt series? It would include the 1965+ proofs, but not the 1950-1964. Whether or not proofs are part of a set is up to debate.

And I meant to imply mint state sets.

I feel that a complete set of modern issues should include the proofs. Just like a JFK set should also include the matte proof.

I've been checking out eBay for Ikes, and there are usually some pretty good deals out there versus the guides. My love for the Ike dollar goes back to when my grandfather gave me an uncirculated 1971 Ike. I still have it and I love the memory of seeing my grandfather's collection.