• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This issue seems to come up quite often.

TO SLAB OR NOT TO SLAB  

126 members have voted

1. 1. TO SLAB OR NOT TO SLAB

17 posts in this topic

I know that it has been discussed many times, but are there any circumstances under which you would slab a coin that may not be worth slabbing? I'm taking for granted that all of you know that I am referring specifically to submissions to any one of the major grading services.

Chris

Here's how I answered:

I may slab a coin to protect its condition, patina or toning regardless of value.

I may slab a coin if it were a family keepsake regardless of value.

Rather than slab a coin that is intended as a gift, I would put it in an AirTite, flip or 2x2.

Rather than spend money submitting coins, I'd rather buy them already slabbed.

I've slabbed coins for a number of reasons. They include a) wanting to have a formerly raw coin included in a registry set, b) wanting to get a second opinion on the grade of a coin, and c) in preparation of a sale.

I voted the last one :) cause you didn't have MY ANSWER

"qualifying the statement as "THIS" poll sux"

I SLAB to keep year sets together in ONE holder :)

I have slabbed a number of coins for none of the reasons that you listed.

OT, I realize that it would nearly impossible to list every possible reason, Mike's included :hi:, but I am curious to know what those reasons are.

Chris

I sometimes slab for "inclusion"...my sailing ship themed coin set (which you can view by clicking on the below signature/tag line) has 5 or 6 coins that are worth less than the slab but I wanted them as part of the set...example: 1934 Estonian Kroon; and 1955 Lebanon 5 piastres...both worth less than $20...but beautiful and great additions in my set

jackson64

Just spent about 20 minutes looking at your ship set. Obviously it is deserving of MUCH more time than that...but what a gorgeous collection. :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: and a few of these too: (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u and just for good measure: :headbang: I assume that there are many more additions in the pipeline?

It's nice having a fellow foreign topical collector to relate to. I'm into music coins...but since none are slabbed I don't guess it will ever make a registry set. :cry:

RI AL

I've never sent anything in to be slabbed, but I DO tend to buy slabbed (as long as I like the "eye appeal" of course) as I am a relative novice and do not want to take too many chances buying from people I am unfamiliar with.

That is not to say that I haven't bought raw coins before, as I have done so in the past from members here, but more so that I am a little cautious when I haven't dealt with the seller before.

thanks RI AL...I've always enjoyed when you post your music themed coins on the darkside....us thematical collectors may never get the satisfaction of actually "completing" a set, but the hunt has a huge scope and new discoveries of ones you didn't even know existed is a thrill

I usually slab coins for inclusion into a set, the same as Jackson.. Some coins that I have slabbed were really nice coins from a proof or mint set that would be worth more slabbed than raw.

My Father passed on his collection of US and World Coins to me a couple of years ago prior to his passing, which is the main reason I became a member of this Society. At the time our plans were to begin selling some of his coins. I therefore utilized NGC to slab many coins for various reasons, 1) Estabishment of Grade, 2) To authenticate a coin, 3) Verification of a percieved Grade, 4) Value determination, and 5) Educational purposes for me being new to the hobby.

The overall end results have been positive for me.

Rey

hm I've slabbed coins:

1) To get me raw coins in my registry set "Cat's Meow". Some of these coins I've had for years in type sets back when all the coins were raw, and raw coins purchased for my registry sets.

2) For regrading; coins purchased in PCGS and NGC slabs I felt were under graded.

3) That I want to sell that I felt the the bump in value will more than off set the grading fees and make for easier sale.

That's about it. (shrug)

Hopes this helps your research Chris (thumbs u , or your curiosity hm or what ever you're thinkin... :o:insane: :insane: :o

Hopes this helps your research Chris (thumbs u , or your curiosity hm or what ever you're thinkin... :o:insane: :insane: :o

Well, I'm not studying for a degree or writing a book, and I don't do much of #3, so it must be Door #2.

Thanks, Paul!

Chris