• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there an optimum time to grade when it comes to coin condition

15 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about a couple of issues so I thought I'd ask you all. Is it better to have your new coins graded asap vice waiting 20 years or longer? I ask this in relation to how long can you wait until a grade of 70 isn't possible anymore? What's the oldest graded PF/MS-70 coin to date? When I say graded I mean by a TPG. I did a quick look at some coins and found 1982 to be the earliest 70 coin I could find. Grant it I didn't look at too many but I'll continue to as time allows or someone beats me to it.

My earliest is a 1995 which is both the earliest for PF and MS. It's the gold civil war commemorative that I have. I'm hoping the oldest one found is older than I'm thinking.

My apologies, it's early and his comment just didn't sit well with me. I'm sorry I reduced myself to his level.
Apology accepted, now please edit and delete your offensive post. I will hope that mckinley will do the same.

I prefer to get my "better coins" graded shortly after I buy them. One reason for this is to identify any problem coins which I normally get rid of.

I did not have any coins graded for about seven years after I resumed collecting. It would have been a real financial disappointment and expensive lesson if the better or more expensive ones had been rejects.

As for MS/PF 70, there are none and likely never will be for the series and issues I collect.

I'd say 10:00 AM Tuesday morning. They have had Monday to get over anything they did on the weekend, it isn't late in the week so they are not overly tired of looking at coins all week or rushed trying to finish up. It is early enough in the day that the graders are fresh but they have had a couple hours to "wake up" and become fully alert.

I'd say 10:00 AM Tuesday morning. They have had Monday to get over anything they did on the weekend, it isn't late in the week so they are not overly tired of looking at coins all week or rushed trying to finish up. It is early enough in the day that the graders are fresh but they have had a couple hours to "wake up" and become fully alert.

Sounds like the same philosophy people use when buying a new car. :)

I purchased 1992 Olympics 50c commemorative in July, sent to NGC in August and it came back PF-70. Thats about 16 years from getting minted to slabbed. But modern comms usually get the 69-70 grades. That's the earliest I have.

68146.jpg.44bc8aff0953e3f038a541828b339e64.jpg

Well I guess the 1964 quarters are the earliest recorded PF-70's out there. I find that fact interesting and I thank those that participated with me. :)

If I find any older I'll let you know. BTW the quarters were in fact graded by NGC.