• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This person had to be smoking the green on this buy

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was watching Jimmy Gerstel's coin show while handing out candy tonight and I saw an auction for the two coin set of Buffalo Silver Dollars; one unc and one proof. The set has all the original govt. paperwork with it and both coins are ungraded.

The set went for, drum roll please.... 1500$! :applause:

I think someone got into their oregano before they bought that! It did make my night as I bellowed with laughter as the price soared over a 1000$.

stgecko---- Maybe a year or so ago, my wife and I were up late----just happened to have awakened in bed early one morning together. I turned onto a "coin" TV show----and ended up having one of the greatest laughs of my nearly 62 years on this earth.

Since that time, I've watched several of these coin and jewelry shows. It's sort of amazing to think that there are this MANY truely dumb folks out there. In the supposed "bad" economic times, they are throwing their money down into the toilet. They believe these folks in the suits and ties. They follow "THE HYPE". It is worse than one could EVER imagine.

However, I am one who believes that you yourself have the responsibility to stand behind your decisions. One needs to do the research BEFORE one buys. But, it seems that folks just like to bid against one another---trying to be "THE WINNER". These folks have, however, become a souce of entertainment and laughter. Some of these shows are on 24/7 these days.

I thought that some of the retail price guides were out of sync. These shows go far beyond any sensibility as to a market acceptable price. But, you must give them credit for feeding on the greed of their bidders. Bob [supertooth]

While of course caveat emptor always applies, there is a certain responsibility these sellers must bear as well. At what point does it go from "I got a really good price for this" to "At this level, this is a clear ripoff and it is unethical." For a set like this (I'm not familiar with its real value, lets just say for argument that its $100) is it $400? $800? I think we would all agree that $1100 is unethical.

The same can be applied to these sub-prime mortgages. Yes, the buyers should have been aware of the terms and what they could afford and they deserve a large part of the blame (and should NOT be bailed out!) But the lenders also deserve blame for willingly taking advantage of these people.

Why does it seem like responsibility in this country has been replaced by finger pointing? rantrant

Funny,just last night I was watching a mostly coin auction show(ch219 on Dish). So, the guy pulls out the Morgans in the black Coinworld holders. I'm looking at these as the guy twists them back and forth under the light and I'm thinking."Cleaned,Cleaned,Cleaned etc".Finally about the 5th coin he looks at it and says you know what?this coin has been cleaned.See those lines? We'll let this one go for 10.00 less. $37.77 instead of $47.77. I really had to laugh. Not one of those POS was worth more than melt.

stgecko---- Maybe a year or so ago, my wife and I were up late----just happened to have awakened in bed early one morning together. I turned onto a "coin" TV show...

Bob, you know you've got a serious issue with coins when you wake up in bed with your wife AND TURN ON A COIN SHOW... ;)