• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montgomery Joins NGC

59 posts in this topic

It appears that Rick is not a man of his convictions if on the one hand he "hates the way NGC grades" and on the other hand he is coming to work for them and now averes that NGC is the better service. Has he had some sort of Epiphany? Or, is there more going on here than we know about? At the very least, he must have severe foot-and-mouth disease.

I would be rather cautious about all of this until we know more about Rick's real agenda. IMHO, I just wonder if he and DH had a failing out and this is his safe haven. I do not imagine that one could have too many disagreements with DH and remain in his confidence or employ. I am going to hide-and-watch until I have a better understanding of this whole situation.:p

Actually, this whole debate about grading standards is irrelevant. Kind of reminds me about thinking as a kid whether or not everyone sees the same exact color when we look at grass. I look at grass and see what I call green, you look at grass and see what you call green. But what I see might be what you call blue. There's no way to know since we learn our colors from birth. How can I possibly communicate to you what color I see - it's green....

So it doesn't matter one bit what PCGS calls an MS65 or what NGC calls an MS65 - what matters is how the industry prices that grade to that grading services standard. And it matters greatly the spread that the grading service hits around that standard. Right now, IMO, NGC is priced closer to the industry standard for the grade and is grading to a tighter spread. Perhaps when prices jump by 100%, then we can say that PCGS is grading closer to the standard - and I certainly hope they work on their spread!

Charles,

Just because Kenya said that Rick didn't like NGC's grading doesn't actually mean that that's true or accurate.

Kenya can say anything, and I would doubt his motive for saying it. He's clearly not a friend of Rick's, or else he would be here trying to besmirch his reputation before he even starts.

EVP

I agree. If I look at my purchases (particularly in Gold) over the past year, I would have to say that I am purchasing about 2/3'rds NGC and 1/3'rd PCGS. That is my reality check because I have to believe, after 40 years, that my grading abilities meet (or exceed) the criteria of the industry.

That having been said, I do not have any particular aliengence to any grading service. They are companies, not people, and companies change and evolve in their own peculiar way over time. At present, I have a bias towards NGC just because I believe that they are doing more of the right types of things.

If this changes, I will change with it because my only responsibilities are to myself and my family to protect our investment, which this is, as well as being a hobby. Once you have passed a certain financial investment point, it becomes an investment as well as a hobby. This is irrefuteable. tongue.gif

I do not remember where or when I saw this quote. If it was from Kenya, I quite agree that it should be taken in the context of being rumor at best. Plus, I realize that situations and people change and that many people do not hold much conviction in what they say.

Anyhow, all of this is a pretty big change. It will be interesting to watch it play out over the next few months. tongue.gif

All of us NGC collector's should be counting our money!! This move is one giant step towards closing the price disparity between NGC and PCGS. Montgomery validates the outstanding service that NGC has been providing collector's for years. We might even bring some of the PCGS "snobs" into NGC!!! I'm sure many PCGS collector's are now going to have to adjust the value of their inflated holding's. Nice work NGC!!!

Kenya,

I'm going out on a limb here to guess this Young Turk......but I am going to say Iraj Siya?? Let me know if I am correct.....great question and I'd interested to see if I am correct.

As far as RM moving to NGC....well I too was a bit surprised by the quote Rick provided (if he did provide this exact quote) in the NGC press release letter. It is a bit hard to believe that a guy like Rick, whom I respect a great deal, would make such a black and white remark after having been with PCGS for so many years. I will hold off posting any further remarks until some time passes and we can see exactly what impact Rick has at NGC and what impact this has on the market as a whole.

Mike

Chris, Mike:

Sorry to leave you hanging so long. The answer to the trivia question is

(drum roll, please)

Steve Markoff, owner of A-Mark.

Mike, Iraj came into the coin market from out of the blue in the late 1980's.

As far as your RM comments, Mike, I agree with your surprise with Rick's black and white remark in the press release. But what was even more surprising--shocking, really--was that he was at PCGS since the 1980s, and quit without giving any notice or saying goodbye to the people who worked with him or for him. He was there on Friday, snuck in and cleaned his desk on Saturday, and *poof*, he was gone. I talked to several, including his best friend there. They're shocked, hurt and bewildered.

He was the President of PCGS, and the chief verifier since the late 1980's. As one said, "the guy must have no conscience."

Kenya

Oh, really? I think I have to call BS to this one!

I know for a fact that many people who worked with him knew he was leaving. I have to wonder how many thought about coming with him!

"the guy must have no conscience."

What a total crock! Where do you get off spreading this ?

Kenya,

Whether your comments regarding RM is true or not, it is very bad form to lambaste someone like this in so public a forum.

RM has basically stayed out of the verbal fray; his only comment is a corporate press release purely as a marketing feel-good. There was nothing political or controversial in the press release. When one goes to a new place, one generally says something pleasant to his new employers.

DHall, on the other hand, would be better served to lay off his not-so-subtle attempts at blasting RM. He will win more with postive actions, like he's also doing now, than with negative comments about a recently departed long-time colleague. IMO.

I suspect an ulterior motive to your comments.

EVP

Kenyuh,

It borders on the ridiculous that a principal of any major company who has cultivated numerous relationships over the years would walk out on any company without a word to his supporting staff. Someone like RM doesn't get where he did by treating colleagues like that. Your post appears purely whimsical and inflammatory at best.

roadrunner1

Kenya,

Please take time to introduce yourself, and let us know how you know these "facts" that you are giving to us. What you say goes against everything else we have heard and on the surface, appear classless.

Kenya,

What happened to you? You disappeared when all we asked was you to give us your name. If you don't want it posted in these forums, please feel free to PM or email me.

if pcgs has been really harsh with grades and keeping the pops low waht happens if you have

say for examplea proof 67 lib nick that is really super deep mirrored rwally a 68 in a 67 holder and the pop is below 15 lets say pcgs starts to grade

correctly and not so tight and the pops go up somewaht on lower pop coins and the 67 coins they make are not as nice as this super tightly graded 67 that is really a 68 in a 67 holder as above?

will this make the market lower on thsew coins???

also i agree with whomever said on ehre that they hAVE BEEN wildly inconsistant as of the last year or so

even somewaht inconsitaant the last 4 years or so some coins are really over graded in holders and over disignated in holders like deep cameo and the coin any

one can see is only a cameo and a coin is either tightly graded like a really choice proof 66 seated quarter that is a no brainer 67/68 coin or a coin is in a 65 /66 holder and barely makes 64 for eye appeal and tech grade!

any comments as to the above??

sincerely michael

Tight, loose, just right. Inconsistent, consistent. Blah, blah, blah.

Read my tag line: the grading services is too much of a business!

The next time someone gets all pissy over the ``buy the coin, not the holder'' line, I'm gonna stick a red hot poker up somewhere!

frown.gif

EVP