• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montgomery Joins NGC

59 posts in this topic

This is what's confusing:

Rick states that NGC is the recognized standard. Yet dealers send thousands of NGC coins to PCGS a month in hope that they'll be crossed over at the same grade into PCGS holders --- and only about 25% do. Rick was the president of PCGS. He controlled the standard and verified the coins. If he really believes what he said, why didn't most NGC coins cross over?

He controlled the standard and verified the coins.

If you truly believe that Rick controlled the change in standards, you are naive.

why didn't most NGC coins cross over?

Because DH panicked when NGC caught up in average price on the greysheet and slammed the door shut. That's as good a guess as any!

Ultimately, you are confusing tightness with being an industry standard. PCGS is tight, no doubt about it, but they have lost touch with the marketplace. NGC is the industry standard in most series. If greysheet says an MS65 sells for $1,000 and an NGC coin sells for $975 and a PCGS coin for $1750, then who is being used as the industry standard? It seems pretty evident.

Don't waste your time on Kenya. He claims to know both of them, as well as Albanese and Salzberg. Yet, he's making all these naive and one-sided comments.

To me, Kenya is clearly a mole trying to sow bad press for NGC amongst this board's membership.

EVP

Kenya: Last night I welcomed you to the board. I do that to all new posters to this board. I also asked your collecting history because you seem to be in the know with everything that has happened in the last few days to PCGS and NGC. I have not had a responce back because of EVP's post it seems that I am not the only one that is wondering what is up. It does not add up. A person that is high up with a company jumps ship to their main competetor and the same day a new poster with knowledge of the events and the players involved? This is why it does not add up. I might be WAY off base and if that is the case I owe you an amend. But you have not responded to my first post so it makes me wonder. CHRIS

Chris,

I'm a dealer. I graded at PCGS many years ago, and keep in contact w/people there today. I deal almost exclusively in PCGS. I came to this board because I was curious about what was going on and felt this was a good place to look. And I have a bad flu today, getting worse, and saw your message right before my chicken soup decided to exit the way it came in. I'll fill in a bit more when I can.

Ken

Well I guess I owe you a very big amend. Because of all the bad blood between the two companys and how this topic has taken over the coin board (that is why I am trying to start up trivia again over there. You could help by posting a trivia question)I guess I kind of jumped to coclusions. Once again if what I asked and implyed was off base or taken the wrong way I am very sorry. CHRIS

hes not a piece of meat!!!!hes a person!!!!a people person!!!!he has feelings....wants.....needs....and desires...just like you and me...

let love rule!!

OK, Chris...here's your trivia question:

Who was the young turk that was buying every decent $5 Indian he could get his hands on...thousands of coins...at wowzy prices in the late '60s and early '70s?

Kenya

No amend needed, Chris. But I will be spotty on this forum. I have businesses to run, and I wasn't planning to be a long term poster here. And I really am a PCGS fan in a big way.

I'm also a Rick Montgomery fan---from way back when he worked for the ANACS. Anonymous, you're right. He is a top line aquisition for NGC. But I'm honestly shocked he went to work for them. Last I heard...last we spoke...he HATED the way NGC graded. And he was in the day to day controlling position at PCGS---the final say on how the coins were graded. The coins pretty much went out the way he wanted them to be graded---or not graded. If you agree or disagree with PCGS's overall grading the past 10 years--tight, lose, consistent or inconsistent--you were agreeing or disagreeing with Rick's skills and opinions.

Tradedollarnut: PCGS didn't tighten up over the years. NCG loostened up. In fact, they both loosened during the '90s, but, IMHO, NGC went off the deep end. Just my opinion.

And EVP, I'm not a mole. Am I hiding the fact I prefer PCGS coins?

Kenya

Tradedollarnut: PCGS didn't tighten up over the years. NCG loostened up. In fact, they both loosened during the '90s, but, IMHO, NGC went off the deep end. Just my opinion.

Just a sec, I need to pick my jaw up off the floor. This is just too easy to check out. Older NGC slabs are right in line with newer slabs, as far as consistency. PCGS slabs are ALL OVER THE PLACE, from year to year.

And EVP, I'm not a mole. Am I hiding the fact I prefer PCGS coins?

I can't comment on your COIN preference but you clearly prefer PCGS SLABS. Mole may not be the right word, but something is definitely going on here. The way your post read, I gather you are going to take your marbles and go home?

Phil

Phil,

If you're suggesting that Kenya is Ken Fairlaneman... I doubt it. They seem to share the same first name and the same preference of grading service, but their posting styles couldn't be more different!

EVP

If you're suggesting that Kenya is Ken Fairlaneman...

No, it was referring to the obvious "sour grapes" tone of the post. It seems like he senses that PCGS is in very real danger here, and he probably has a bunch of PCGS slabs. He has probably also ran his mouth in the past about "the wonder of PCGS", and now, if things don't turn around for them, he looks a bit foolish.

Phil

Kenya: are you putting words in my mouth? Can't remember which thread I posted it in, but I definitely said both companies loosened, especially in the late 1990's. NGC tightened a bit thereafter and PCGS went haywire.

Is NGC as tight as in 1989? No. Are they tighter than in 1997? Hell, yes. Is PCGS tighter than they were in 1997? 1989? 2000? I honestly don't know because right now they are all over the board - sometimes a POS makes the grade and sometimes a stone cold 66 is called a 63. You tell me!

I highly doubt that Rick ran the show with any sense of independence. Why else would he leave? PCGS was very consistent (and good) up until a year or so ago. What happened? And it's not just me saying this, it's the entire industry. Is the same thing that happened the reason that Rick is now at NGC? Wouldn't I like to be a fly on that wall!

Does it matter that Rick hated NGC's standards? I don't think so. The market has accepted them as the standard for many series. PCGS is grading so tight that coins are bringing 100% premiums. Is that a market standard? What matters is consistency. And good old fashioned customer service! Both of which have been missing for a bit across the street!