• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bullion buying questions

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking into purchasing bullion, not necessarily for numismatic value, but more for backing up my portfolio. I looked on ebay but WOW. Way over what the live price is for gold or silver.

Anyone have any suggestions of places online or in California/Nevada that offers reasonable prices?

Thanks a lot.

I don't know what their current prices are, but Mystic Coin in San Diego is supposedly one of the largest and most competitive bullion dealers in the country. I had a couple of transactions involving quantities of gold Eagles with them some time ago and they were very fair and easy to deal with.

Phone: (858) 492-9175

You're probably not going to be able to buy gold ( $739.30) or silver( $ 8.79) at these prices. Metal market value will always be less than the coin value market. Maybe investing in bullion bars or rounds of some sort may be cheaper than coins.

I'm looking into purchasing bullion, not necessarily for numismatic value, but more for backing up my portfolio. I looked on ebay but WOW. Way over what the live price is for gold or silver.

Anyone have any suggestions of places online or in California/Nevada that offers reasonable prices?

Thanks a lot.

There is a premium for physical delivery

For me, it's dealing with my local pawn shop. They are selling silver bullion at about 10-15% over the spot price. But you have to call in daily to check if any silver came in, and then buy based on the spot price at that time. But this is the best deal on silver I've seen. My local coin dealer is selling silver bullion for $15-16 oz. and $20 for ASE!

Open a futures account, buy a December mini contract on the Comex for $8.79 per ounce and pay for it in full and take delivery of your 1,000 ounce bar in January (provided there is sufficient metal to make deliveries). Otherwise you will pay a sizable premium over "spot."

Look into Northwest Territorial Mint for 5oz & 10oz.silver bars as well. There prices are fair & if you're intersetd in 100oz bars , there is a slightly better discount on those

www.nwtmint.com

Besides buying a futures contract or buying a 1000oz bar, you can try the Perth Mint. I have not bought anything from them but they appear to have lower premiums than elsewhere for at least some items. If this is correct, it would be because they make the coins and bars in-house. But to get their lowest premiums over spot, you have to buy at least 100 of anything.

Well if you are looking for physical silver you will have a tough time finding it anything close to spot. There has been a retail shortage of silver in smaller quantities for a while now.

The option of buying a mini contract on the Comex is valid... but good luck getting delivery.

You're best bet is going to be smaller bars, if you can even find those! I know of a place that is selling 10 oz bars for $117 or so, but they have a 4 - 6 week waiting period.

If you would like phyisical silver in your hand soon, you're pretty much going to have to pay the current premiums.

I have some Canadian Maples that I'm looking to sell but they wouldn't be "cheap" either. If you would like to purchase some quantity maybe I could set-up a Buy it Now auction for you on eBay so you can get some free Microsoft money and I can get a decent price.

Good luck!