• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any interesting pocket change finds lately.?

67 posts in this topic

You are right.This topic should be visited more. I see posts about this in the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup every so often.

Maybe not too interesting. But I'm in Florida .Found a nice AU 1978 S Lincoln cent last week. I can't remember the last S mint cent I've gotten in change. Tons of P and D's.

You are right.This topic should be visited more. I see posts about this in the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup every so often.

Maybe not too interesting. But I'm in Florida .Found a nice AU 1978 S Lincoln cent last week. I can't remember the last S mint cent I've gotten in change. Tons of P and D's.

I obviously agree. About two years ago I actually got a Liberty Nickel in change from a coffee shop. Sold it to a friend for a quarter (post silver) as he was collecting them. Not sure if I posted uit here or not but I think there is more to change than some think!

Pays to look and it's fun.

It really IS fun. Hit a store. Pay a buck 37. Get 63 cents change amoung which is a nice higy grade SLQ - err - OK - amoung which is a relatively worn 1962 quarter (more realsitic?). :grin:

Regardless - one never knows what will turn up. Kind of like detecting without the gear.

I got this 1950-D Jefferson from Burger King the other day.

DSC05870.jpg

DSC05871.jpg

DSC05873.jpg

My photo in no way shows the luster on the coin and I was very pleasantly surprised at the date. With my fuzzy eye sight it looked FS but upon closer examination after I got home I could see it was not. I could also see that the coin had some "issues" but had definitely been "collected". I quickly asked for change for a quarter (5 nickels specifically) to see if perhaps a collectible roll had been spent but nothing turned up at all and I just couldn't see pressing the cashier for more coins.

BTW, I have no idea whats going on with step one under pillar one!

Some kid got hold of Daddy's Whitman folder and went to BK? (shrug)

I found a beat up 59 D cent yesterday....dumped it into the copper jar .

I have a very, very large glass into which I throw all of my change. I keep telling myself that I will check all of the coins, but now, I would be better off searching a $50 bag of Lincoln cents.

Chris

I don't bother checking road kill. Who cares about funky strikethroughs.

Is it "strikethroughs" or "strikesthrough"? Wouldn't it be like attorneys general?

Chris

Is it "strikethroughs" or "strikesthrough"? Wouldn't it be like attorneys general?

Chris

Ow...made that muscle in the skull part hurt again... :D

Chris

Ow...made that muscle in the skull part hurt again... :D

lol

I have a very, very large glass into which I throw all of my change. I keep telling myself that I will check all of the coins, but now, I would be better off searching a $50 bag of Lincoln cents.

Chris

The trick is to check 'em before they go in the jar.

I've been finding some lustrous Washington Quarters recently with dates like 1969, 1979 and 1993-1996. Makes me wonder if they have been part of someone's collection or stored in some jar before being spent

I was at the corner market a few weeks ago. They have one of those "penny" boxes next to the register - you know - "Give a penny take a penny" thing. (Sounds like a Brit came up with this idea as there is no cents to it! :jokealert: )

ANYWAYS - I spot this revrese side up -talk about possibilities! (sorry just a couple of scanner scans)

And I pick it up and see the obverse - a bit saddened is not a 1909S or a 1922 etc but you know what? Shocked and delighted it is just what it is is! Am friendly with the fellow and he actually dumped the register change to see if any more where there - like maybe someone or someone's kid emptied a collection. But nothing. So why does this coin end up, in 2009, in such condition, in a "penny box?" Just so cool!

79726.jpg.0396c23c8c861753dd75f7ce7bd65385.jpg

79727.jpg.19835ed513c9082f62b4f9723634cfb9.jpg

pr85so.jpg[/img]

pr85sr.jpg

1985 S Proof (58?) Quarter. Nothing real valuable, but a rather unusual bit of change received at the local Dairy Mart.

I've been a member of NGC for a few years and this is my first chat board post.

sig.jpg

I just picked up a cent on my desk that was never part of my collection. It was a 1959 D in AU. No idea where it came from.

On a side note, a collector just showed a proof 1985 proof quarter pulled from change and this is my 8500th post. Coincidence? I don't knooooooow?

&^%$ it! Send me that quarter! :grin:

Now, who does that remind you of? haha

A couple of days ago in that same penny dish at the corner store I got the UNC 1941 cent I got this 1920S cent. Not quite as pretty but still neat to see in circ.

90392.jpg.ac0752e0d51b45340429214234eb3e80.jpg

I got something pretty strange today; a nice AU-55 1968 quarter.

The last of these disappeared from circulation in about 1985 so this is a big anomaly. It might be a mint set coin but it's not certain.

This is one of the tougher dates to find in VF and better.

I rarely have cash on me but I did today, bought something and got .85 in change. I didn't have my glasses on so it looked like 2 statehoods and a regular washie for the quarters. Got home tonight and one of them was a 1979 Commonwealth of the Bahamas twenty five cents.

Nothing rare or anything, but I thought that this Lincoln that I found a little while ago was an attractive coin... it had toned up nicely in a lightish purple. The images are by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

2008LincObv_024.jpg

2008LincRev_017.jpg