• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dollars & Notes Collectors...

5 posts in this topic

A few questions for you.

A friend of mine has $1 Bills dated 1980 (will get more details today) that are uncirculated and have been in a box, I presume, since 1980. Knowing I am a coin collector, he wanted to find out if they have any value. Since I don't see much interest in the "modern" dollar, should I tell him to keep them in the box for another 50 years or sell them to me at face value smile.gif

The New $20 Bill- I was seeing a huge amount of these bills but over the course of the past few weeks, they seemed to have disappeared. From what I heard, they stopped producing them due to them being counterfitted but then this weekend, I went to the ATM and the ATM dispensed the new $20... What is the story behind this?

Does anyone collected Radar? Binary Bills? Star Notes? What is the market like on these in recent times. I have to admit, I look at every single bill I get in change and set aside the good ones but what are the more popular items?

Anything else you can add would be appreciated.

-Dave

In general, most notes issued in the 1980's and 1990's do not carry a premium over face. The expection is the web fed notes from the 1990's which are now considered very, very scarce, in Crisp UNC, especially notes from the Atlanta Reserve. Radar notes et al, are extemely popular on ebay, however, most dealers will not buy them for a substantial premium. I have seen some radar notes sell on ebay from $20.00 to $50.00 for a CU $1. Although star notes from the 1980's and 1990's don't have a huge premium, they are sleepers and might have value in the future.

TRUTH

On the new $20, my understanding of the circulation patterns is that the Fed and banks made a special effort to get them into wide circulation right away. Like you, the ATMs around here (northern NJ) were giving out crisp new $20s for a week or two, then went back to the 'old' $20s and are now giving out mixed old and new $20s.

Counterfeits of the new $20s started showing up as soon as the new bills did. The reports I saw said that the counterfeits were most likely done on a color copier to take advantage of the fact that store clerks wouldn't be familiar with the new bills and thus would be too dim to look for the security thread and watermark. (Heck, even in our local McDonald's the clerks hold every $20 up to the light.)

There is no truth to the silly rumor that the BEP stopped printing the new bills. (But you can tell the folks who tell you that that the New Hampshire state quarters are being recalled because the Old Man of the Mountain fell down!)

Dave,

First, the bills would not be dated 1980, as I believe there were no series 1980 $1 bills, there were Series 1977, 1977-A, 1981, 1981-A, 1985, 1988, and 1988-A. Just about any of these in unc. would likely be worth a few dollars, but if you wanted to sell them I would go through eBay as most dealers wouldn't give you more than face. Another thing that could add value is if they are a run of consecutive serial numbers. Personally, I usually get a run of 10 consecutive crisp unc. bills whenever there is a new series and just put them away. I doubt they'll ever be worth much, but they are still nice to have an look at. I just got a bunch of 2003 series $1 to put away last weekend. I have them going all the way back to series 1963 I think. Hope this helps.

A few questions for you.

Does anyone collected Radar? Binary Bills? Star Notes? What is the market like on these in recent times. I have to admit, I look at every single bill I get in change and set aside the good ones but what are the more popular items?

Anything else you can add would be appreciated.

-Dave

I've seen the new $20 dollar star notes advertised for anywhere between $27.95 to $30 in various numismatic publications. "The Coin Vault" had five consecutive notes for sale at the bargain, basement price of but $200.00.

I've also noticed that ATM's reverted back to dispensing the old twenties.

p.s. I just got a 2001 star twenty in change the other day. Serial # CL 02299318*