• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest Saint!

19 posts in this topic

Here it is, just arrived in the mail today. I'll be back later to give you some of my comments, in the mean time, enjoy and let me know what you think!

1924obv.jpg

1924rev.jpg

Is that a die crack between the B and E in LIBERTY? If so, is this common on this series? Gold coinage is something that I am not familiar with at all, but I can't recall seeing many die cracks on double eagles. Perhaps it has to do with how soft gold is? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, a few things for everyone that's interested. Yes, it's a 24-S, so my second of the scary to find branch mints of the 1920s! The coin is actually not AU, but graded MS-62 by NGC, and I actually agree with that grade. From the photos, it looks like an AU coin admittedly, however I think that is entirely due to the weak strike. This is one of the most weakly struck Saints I've owned, and it can be seen very well in the flatness of the 4 in the date. It is also evident in the face. This coin is not very high unc, as evidenced by the usual number of bag marks throughout (Tom, what you thought might be a die crack is actually one of the most significant bag marks on the coin). I am not sure how this compares with most 24-S coins as I still have no copy of the Akers book (if anyone knows where I can buy one, please let me know!). Finally, this surfaces on this coin are delightfully original, with a lovely orange peel luster and the most beautiful ring of light bluish-green toning around the edge of the obverse and reverse. I don't think it shows up in the photos but it's stunning as you tilt the coin in the light.

Nice coin, Jeff. I think I can see why it's a low-grade UNC instead of an AU, but it's really not fair to try to pin down a grade from an image. In any case, the luster appears to be sufficient at least to warrant an "AU62" grade!

As for the Akers book, I think there may be one for auction in the upcoming Kolbe sale. His auction close date got rescheduled to the 29th due to the fires. I'll check my catalog to see if I can find it.

If you want, go to www.numislit.com.

EVP

Nice coin Jeff, congratulations! thumbsup2.gif

I must admit that I too thought it was AU from the obverse image. After seeing the image of the reverse I did think to myself how strange it was that the reverse clearly looks MS, and wondered why all the ‘wear’ was on the obverse only.

John

Thanks for the link EVP I will check it out. As for you all "dissing" my Saint, don't worry about it, I'm not too offended! tongue.gif This is how we learn, and after looking at the pic and then the coin repeatedly, that's how I came to my conclusion. You can't get a flat fat 4, and weak to non-existent high point details from and AU level of wear, VF yes, AU no. That also got me to thinking, perhaps the only thing harder than putting together a date set from 1907-32 is putting together a 1 year grade set! After all, I've only seen 1 VF graded Saint in my whole life!

A little further west mike...

Carson City?..lol

Great coin Jeff! Not sure if it's actually AU given the picture. The problem with Saints, it seems, is the the first place of wear is near or at the place you see the weak strike. This makes it difficult to see the rub.

Would you like me to check around here locally for the book? If so, are you looking for the "20th Century Gold Book" or his auction analysis books? The latter are not widely available anymore but the other I've seen recently...probably at the Long Beach show...

jom

Jom -- I am looking at the 20th Century Gold book, not the auction books (though they also have a lot of good info.). If you find one, let me know and I will reimburse your expenses! Thanks!

As for AU or MS, Rub vs. Strike, at least on this coin it really doesn't matter, the date is the most important aspect of this coin! (wow, how often do we say that anymore???)

Thanks EVP, which auction analysis (I beleive in at least one of the printings it was broken down by denomination). I really want the 20th Century gold book, and I'll check out the next Lake Books sale in January.

Lot 969 is the complete 6-vol set. Orig matching pictorial boards. VF. (Est. $500.)

Lot 970, the patterns, is a 1st printing with original maroon leatherette, gilt, all page edges gilt. Near new. (Est. $45.)

EVP