• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books, books, books!!!

11 posts in this topic

I've spent more money on books in September than I have in coins the last two months, but I still need another(at least one).

I need a used copy or new of Al Blythe's "The Complete Guide To Liberty Seated Half Dimes".

Coin collector's are hard to part with a book and I do not blame them. I unfortunately bought the wrong books and am now having to rebuy better books by different authors.

Thanks for your support.

Jim

Well, I can't really help you. I don't do the little things, and I probably wouldn't want to sell my book if I had it (see, I'm no different ;) ). I must agree with you though, I like to have a nice library. Although currently on the modest side (only about 2/3rds of a shelf), there are several books I'm planning on getting in the near future.

The old adage "Buy the Book before the Coin" is always true. There is a reason its so oft repeated.

Besides my redbook collection I have 6 coin books and was fortunate enough to have won 4 of them thru the Numismedia trivia quest and Mr. Lange.

Besides my redbook collection I have 6 coin books and was fortunate enough to have won 4 of them thru the Numismedia trivia quest and Mr. Lange.

I got the Mercury Dime book autographed by Lange through the Trivia contest, and I love it! I don't collect dimes, but it has given me an appreciation for the series, not to mention it was a good read.

I got the Mercury Dime book autographed by Lange through the Trivia contest, and I love it! I don't collect dimes, but it has given me an appreciation for the series, not to mention it was a good read.

That's Mr. Lange to you, youngster. :grin:

I've spent more money on books in September than I have in coins the last two months, but I still need another(at least one).

I need a used copy or new of Al Blythe's "The Complete Guide To Liberty Seated Half Dimes".

Coin collector's are hard to part with a book and I do not blame them. I unfortunately bought the wrong books and am now having to rebuy better books by different authors.

Thanks for your support.

Jim

There is currently a copy listed on Amazon for $67.50. Not having priced one of these lately I don't know whether that is in line or not.

There is currently a copy listed on Amazon for $67.50. Not having priced one of these lately I don't know whether that is in line or not.

I bought my copy several years ago but I doubt that I paid more than $20-$30 for it. I haven't priced them lately but that seems high.

I know Steve Crane is working on a new book on these but it may be years before it gets published. The Blythe book is currently the best avalable but it really comes up short compared to some other works on other series.

A lot of My Knowledge on MORGANS is from comparing and documenting IN hand Coins ( I have 70 or so of them personally ) and pictured coins and have gotten pretty good at grading from pictures and have returned dozens after seeing them in hand, however, you can not know everything in this manner so I just recently purchased ( nor received yet ) QDB's book on Morgans. How is this book anyone have/read it ..

Ebarrasingly this will be my FIRST book purchase :)

A lot of My Knowledge on MORGANS is from comparing and documenting IN hand Coins ( I have 70 or so of them personally ) and pictured coins and have gotten pretty good at grading from pictures and have returned dozens after seeing them in hand, however, you can not know everything in this manner so I just recently purchased ( nor received yet ) QDB's book on Morgans. How is this book anyone have/read it ..

You don't even have a redbook? Holy cow, you need to start buying some books!

You don't even have a redbook? Holy cow, you need to start buying some books!

I do not consider the red book an informative text in the same league of a QDB book ... I have a red book yes ;)

Thanks, Jim. I did purchase the one on Amazon, thus my reference books for the Liberty Seated coinage is now short only of the LSHalf Dollar book which is supposedly going to be on line sometime next year. I use Gerry Fortin's online Liberty Seated Dime reference(what a fantastic work of patience-Gerry I hope you are reading this) along with my two books quite often.

Thanks to all who replied.

Jim