• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Flight halfs have a die chip!

6 posts in this topic

I received the four uncirculated First Flight commemorative half-dollars I ordered from the mint earlier in the week, but I did not have a chance to look at them closely until now.

I have just found that all four coins have the same exact die chip on the reverse. I have circled it in red on the image.

318166-die%20chip2.jpg

I wonder how many of them will wind up being minted from this reverse die. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Has anyone else noticed this on his or her coins?

John

Well, they are supposed to ship them today, but then again, they were also supposed to ship on 11/20, 11/18, 11/14, 11/8, 10/31, 10/28, 10/14, and 9/30, after ordering on 9/13... 893frustrated.gif

That is interesting -- I received mine yesterday, and it has a very similar looking "chip" in the top-central portion of the reverse. It was clearly made in the striking process as opposed to subsequent mishandling.

By the way, I think this half is one of the most attractive of all the modern commems.