• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Professional toner at work!!!!!

47 posts in this topic

Another one from tonecoin. With only 48 hrs to go for this coin and the high bid is only $1., lets hope no one else bids on it and he looses money on the deal. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

David

I believe this is from the new Artificial Toning Paint-By-Numbers® kit from Hasbro. You get:

• One (1) American Silver Eagle coin (date their choice)
  • One (1) Statehood Quarter (date/state their choice)
  • One (1) 1999 Susan B. Anthony $1 coin (mint mark their choice)
  • Complete set of chemical paints
  • Paintbrush
  • Detailed instructions on coloring and developing in your home oven

Suitable for children 8 and over. With the holidays coming up, why not get one for all the little ones in your life?

Beijim

I believe this is from the new Artificial Toning Paint-By-Numbers® kit from Hasbro. You get:

• One (1) American Silver Eagle coin (date their choice)
  • One (1) Statehood Quarter (date/state their choice)
  • One (1) 1999 Susan B. Anthony $1 coin (mint mark their choice)
  • Complete set of chemical paints
  • Paintbrush
  • Detailed instructions on coloring and developing in your home oven

Suitable for children 8 and over. With the holidays coming up, why not get one for all the little ones in your life?

Beijim

sign-funnypost.gif

Ya know, somebody else is selling a similiar kit and it 'aint Hasbro!

and the Jefferson Coin & Currency set is like this as well. You can find a lot of golden or purple nickels in those sets because the plastic housing the coins didn't seal very well.

Let's not forget about the US Botanic Garden CC set. I just checked mine and...............(next post please)!

Leo

Well add me to the list of people with a toned nickel from the Jefferson set. I have seen a number of these sets and in most of them the nickel was toned a nice golden color, but in all the sets I have seen with a toned nickel it was only the reverse that had toned. Has anyone else noticed this? Below are photos of the nickel in my set. 319257-1994%205c%20obv.jpg319259-1994%205c%20rev.jpg John
and...........YIKES! 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif In one set, the 1997-P has toned much more in the horizon above the Monticello then John's coin/picture. The other 1997-P I have, has extremely light gold toning, less then the the toning of my 1994-P pic. Again, both coins show toning only on the reverse.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Just like I did for the 94-P, I'll need to get the one 97-P sent off to ANACS. The other 97-P, and I remember that there is only a folded-over piece of plastic holding the coin so now I'm thinking that I should flip it over to tone the other side. 27_laughing.gifThe good news is that both the commemorative dollars have only toned, in a crescent way, along the rose wreath above the larger rose in an array of colors. Leo

re: Just like I did for the 94-P, I'll need to get the one 97-P sent off to ANACS. The other 97-P, and I remember that there is only a folded-over piece of plastic holding the coin so now I'm thinking that I should flip it over to tone the other side.

Actually, I just flipped my nicks yesterday and rotated them to hopefully tone Jefferson's face. (p.s. this will ruin the set but I had already removed the dollar to put with my dollar commems.)

My '94 set had nice reverse toning on the nickel but the Jefferson dollar commem was pristine. The '97 set was the exact opposite: The dollar commem had sweet reverse toning but the nickel was unaffected.

re: The good news is that both the commemorative dollars have only toned, in a crescent way, along the rose wreath above the larger rose in an array of colors.

Ditto for the Botanical Garden issue. acclaim.gif Nice color on the roses.

Ok, here is my 94-P. But it is toning gold only on the obverse. If I squint REEAALL hard, I think I see some on the reverse, but it turns red! Could be I'm squinting TOO hard! Gotta remind myself not to do that too much!

David

320410-94-P.jpg.e678185a8111f2dd3e77dcb763844754.jpg

That's not a matte uncirculated coin, is it?

Nice toning, however. If it is a matte from the Jefferson coin and currency set, then that's the first that I've heard of obverse toning.

To be quite honest with you, I do not remember where I got the 94-P. It is NOT a proof, but may have come from a mint unc. set, as probably did this 96-P with obverse gold toning (attachment).

320724-96-P.jpg.9cd5d3fa502485230d0a4548e5adf4a1.jpg

And then I found THIS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204917411&category=41107

How does a coin tone only on the devices like this? In a PeCeGeEs holder no less!

This thing actually sold at $432.75. $432.75!!! 893whatthe.gif

It boggles the mind.

Beijim

Because PCGS slabbed it. makepoint.gif

And then I found THIS!!!

How does a coin tone only on the devices like this? In a PeCeGeEs holder no less!

It boggles the mind.

Beijim

You're right! I thought I'd have to pay $300.00 more than I did. hi.gif

Are you going to dip it? smile.gif

I'm surprised it went so high. The better looking ones in the ANACS slabs have been going in the $125 area.

Interesting list of bidders. The bidder right below you is interesting.

And then I found THIS!!!

It boggles the mind.

Beijim

The reverse is eriely (sp?) beautiful! It looks like an early sunrise or else the plantation is on fire. smile.gif It is very odd that it toned only on the device.

You're right! I thought I'd have to pay $300.00 more than I did. hi.gif

Well, congratulations. If you're happy, that's all that matters. It does illustrate that value is a very personal assessment. In the interest of fairness, let me say that I've handled many examples of this particular coin (1982-S Proof George Washington 50c) and am fond of it. In the best pieces, the reverse has a wonderful satiny and occasionally almost irridescent sheen to the lawn surface below Mount Vernon. I also particularly like the way in which many examples acquire a uniform creamy golden patina.

My concern with the piece at auction is that its toning may have been artificially accelerated or induced, and I don't place a premium on that. However, it's undeniably an attractive example from a purely aesthetic perspective. One interesting thing I've noticed is a tendency in some pieces to develop this toning crescent on the reverse, toward the rim under the lawn, while remaining relatively untoned on the obverse. I have a nice one in which the reverse exhibits a very pleasing golden crescent, which in the right light and at the right angle appears to be developing the beginnings of the color in your (newly acquired) piece. The sad part is that the coin is now encapsulated, so it's unlikely to go very much farther in that direction. frown.gif

In any event, although I didn't bid on the coin, I hope it's even more attractive in person than in the photos, which admittedly looked pretty good!

Regards,

Beijim