• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Professional toner at work!!!!!

47 posts in this topic

Was cruising eBay with the key word "TONE" in items and descriptions for U.S. Coins>dollars----came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204727896&category=3355

He has 35 coins listed and PICTURED at his "view other auction items", mostly Peace, Morgan dollars and some early commems. As one that almost bought some early commems that were ATed, I now find these abhorrently fugly! As there is no where in sight on the auction pages anything about being torched to obtain these "target tones", why would anyone in their right mind bid on, let alone buy any of these??? confused.gif

David

I think this seller has been discussed a few times both here and across the street. The coins look terrible to me, however, I don't know how accurately the images portray the actual in-hand appearance.

Knowledge seems to be the key to avoiding mistakes on toned coins. The less knowledgable get burned (pun intended) more often than those who know more about what to look for in a problem free coin. This is the holiday season for many folks and I will bet that quite a few problem coins listed at this time of year are bought as gifts. frown.gif

About a month ago I sold some early commems on ebay to a guy by the name of 'artandcoins.' Well, about a day after the auction we make contact but he goes by the name tonedcoin????? Hmmmm. Right then and there I knew it. I was so pist. Had I know during the auction I'd have blocked him somehow. Anyways I send him the coins. I have to. It is a binding contract and he could give me neg.'s and I wouldn't have fairly earned them and I doubt ebay would buy the reasons why I wouldn't sell. Anyways......CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

Below are links to two of his current auctions, then links to the two I sold him. They're the same coins. 893whatthe.gif On the Cleveland I KNOW ALMOST FOR SURE. They both have the same exact scratch on the obverse figure's collar. The same scratch I mention in my auction. On the Lexington reverse you can see two good squiggly scrapes at about 1 o'clock. There on both coins. Even more pronounced on the toned version. I can't [!@#%^&^] believe this. I feel complicit in his fraud. I have ruined three good coins by having to deal with him. I am so pist right now.. He's a [!@#%^&^] scumbag!!

His links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3355&item=2204498301

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3355&item=2204499350

My links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2199388308

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2200125743

FORGIVE ME!!!!!

And then I found THIS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204917411&category=41107

How does a coin tone only on the devices like this? In a PeCeGeEs holder no less!

David

The top bidder must be a lunatic ( gossip.gif).

-Regarding Tone2003's stuff. I purchased one of his Peace dollars about a month ago and the coin looks much different than his photo- in a good way. Oh, it's AT and all but pretty AT (if there is such a thing?).

And then I found THIS!!!

How does a coin tone only on the devices like this? In a PeCeGeEs holder no less!

David

The seller, Supercoin, is a forum member and a good guy to deal with.

This coin could have been placed in an album slightly tilted which allowed air to touch just the reverse. It could have been in a mint capsul that had a slight opening.

Having said that, I have seen quite a few of the Olympic dollars with monster toning over the years. They are frequently (almost always) in older PCGS slabs. They don't seemed to get slabbed today. There is a reason for this. Draw your own conclusions. smile.gif

Greg, no inference or comparison to tonecoin2003 was meant by posting the slabbed coin being sold by supercoin. You answered my question regarding how it COULD have toned in this manner and is as plausible as anything I could come up with. I personally, do not see how anyone could do this kind of precise device toning to a coin on purpose, but then what do I know? That's why I'm here.

ATed or NTed, IMO it is very attractive! Too bad they can't ALL tone like this (IF they have to tone at all).

Robert, you are forgiven. How could you have known? How could ANYONE have known? We know now, thanks to you, and that will have to do.

David

And then I found THIS!!!

David

The seller, Supercoin, is a forum member and a good guy to deal with.

This coin could have been placed in an album slightly tilted which allowed air to touch just the reverse. It could have been in a mint capsul that had a slight opening.

Having said that, I have seen quite a few of the Olympic dollars with monster toning over the years. They are frequently (almost always) in older PCGS slabs. They don't seemed to get slabbed today. There is a reason for this. Draw your own conclusions. smile.gif

$10 gets that "old holdered" toned Modern into a new blue PCGS holder at a show.

Oh well.

$10 gets that "old holdered" toned Modern into a new blue PCGS holder at a show.

Good point. I thought of that also when I read Greg’s post, but I would guess most people who have one of these in an early PCGS holder already would not want to spend $10 to get it into a new PCGS holder and lose that early PCGS holder ‘mystic’.

John

Don't feel bad Robert, there was nothing you could do.

That is some turn around time though. Only 2-3 weeks to cook up a new batch. I wonder what they will look like in another 2 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what he actually sells them for.

((( And then I found THIS!!!

How does a coin tone only on the devices like this? In a PeCeGeEs holder no less! )))

That coin looks legitimately toned to me. I think if the high points of the surfaces of the coin are in contact with the plastic capsule, they will tone differently. Those rounds have a higher silver purity, which is why they tone so easily (I think).

Regarding tonecoin2003, some of those almost look convincing! How is he toning those coins? Heat? Chemicals? Krylon paint? Mabellene eye shadow?

James

James, that's not a silver round you have linked to, that is the first of the modern series of US Mint commemoratives and is a 90% silver half of the same composition as pre-1965.

You are correct, however, that silver rounds that are 0.999 fine will not only tone faster but will tone in somewhat different colors, mainly blues and purples with orange tints, than will traditional 90% silver coinage.

Oh, RobertB, I meant to tell you that you're gonna burn in Hell, with the next batch of AT offerings, for what you allowed to be done to those poor coins! devil.gif893whatthe.gif

I'm joking! devil.gif

I have seen another of Supercoin's proof Washington half dollars at a show last year and it looked OK to me. These issues were notorious for poor Mint quality control, so these could have easily toned like this. The holders were not sealed well.

Like Greg has said, the Olympic dollars have this a lot, and the Jefferson Coin & Currency set is like this as well. You can find a lot of golden or purple nickels in those sets because the plastic housing the coins didn't seal very well.

..and the Jefferson Coin & Currency set is like this as well. You can find a lot of golden or purple nickels in those sets because the plastic housing the coins didn't seal very well.

I didn't realize this was a common problem with the Jeff set. When I bought mine, which was within a year of when they came out, the reverse of the nickel was already a strong golden color. It hasn't changed much since so I never though much about it. I didn't know it was something that was happening to other peoples set....

jom

It's funny you should mention the Jefferson Coin and Currency set as I have seen a number of lightly golden Jefferson's from that set. It always seemed odd.

And then I found THIS!!!

David

WOW. $5 coin, $1000 tone?

No offense Supercoin!!!

Why would Tad be offended? He's SELLING the coin. If anything, feel sorry for the top bidder! blush.gif

And then I found THIS!!!

David

No offense Supercoin!!!

Why would Tad be offended? He's SELLING the coin. If anything, feel sorry for the top bidder! blush.gif

I've seen that top bidder buy a lot of [!@#%^&^] before - especially novelty coins. Something is obviously wrong with him.

The one supercoin sold before was stunning. I'd have loved to own it at about half the price it sold for.

keithdagen, as you were the first to mention the "Jefferson Coin & Currency Set", I would appreciate it if you (or TomB or Oldtrader3) would enlighten me (and maybe others) as to what exactly you are referring to with this set.

Are you referring to the entire series of business strike sets from the mint?

Thanks for the info!

David

It's funny you should mention the Jefferson Coin and Currency set as I have seen a number of lightly golden Jefferson's from that set. It always seemed odd.

Yes, it's the rule rather than the exception. Finding a totally untoned example of the nickel can be challenging!

Beijim

The reverse of my matte '94 Jefferson was also nicely toned a golden color.

BUT, in my Botanical Garden coin and currency set, the reverse of the Botanical commem dollar is awesome! If you recall, there are roses encircling the top half of the dollar's circumference. These are all toned a beautiful golden color which gives the roses personality and life.

And then I found THIS!!!

David

No offense Supercoin!!!

I've seen that top bidder buy a lot of [!@#%^&^] before - especially novelty coins. Something is obviously wrong with him.

The one supercoin sold before was stunning. I'd have loved to own it at about half the price it sold for.

Funny thing, to an outsider, everything we collect coin wise is a "novelty".

Well add me to the list of people with a toned nickel from the Jefferson set. I have seen a number of these sets and in most of them the nickel was toned a nice golden color, but in all the sets I have seen with a toned nickel it was only the reverse that had toned. Has anyone else noticed this? Below are photos of the nickel in my set.

319257-1994%205c%20obv.jpg319259-1994%205c%20rev.jpg

John

I am referring to the Jefferson Nickel Currency Commem. Set issued in 1994 with a matte proof nickel. Attached is a picture of the toning on my matte proof. The Obverse is not toned, which seems to be typical of this set.

319310-94Jeff.jpg.ed283289b92337504629d74c5f40b7b1.jpg