• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coining Used to be Labor Intensive (lots of images)

11 posts in this topic

From the man powered flywheel screw presses, to steam power, the mints finally got dependable electric motors to

operate the vertical coin presses. At one time, from the very start to finish, coining presses used to be labor intensive.

With the advent of modern technology, operators are now more or less are “baby sitters” to automation. Not so in the past,

as these images from around the world reveal, it was all hands on.

Coining_pressRoyal_Mint.jpg

Coining Press used in the Royal Mint

Published by A. Constable & Co. Edin. 1818

press1.gif

Operator at the Royal Mint

steampress.jpg

First steam operated coining press, circa 1836

1901large.jpg

Coining at the Philadelphia Mint, 1901

(published in Scientific American,1901)

Screwpress.jpg

The Medal Room of the Philadelphia Mint circa 1903

CanadaMint.gif

COINING PRESSES. Royal Mint, Ottawa.

Circa 1915

RCM.gif

Examining room: "Ringing" of coins to detect flaws

1956.jpg

United States Mint, 1956

worden-coinage0206ah.jpg

Modern one cent high speed horizontal Schuler press.

worden-coinage0206ai.jpg

Shot of the computer screen of high speed Schuler press.

Note: not to down play the roll of the modern operator, it takes skill and training to operate these modern NC behemoths.

Cool photos woody, (thumbs u

In the "Coining at the Philadelphia Mint, 1901" photo a leather belt is coming through the floor running over a flat pulley that has no guarding was so ever and it's right at waist level. :eek:

In the "Coining at the Philadelphia Mint, 1901" photo a leather belt is coming through the floor running over a flat pulley that has no guarding was so ever and it's right at waist level. :eek:

I reckon that the folks of yesterday had to use a little more common sense than some use today. After all, I doubt that anyone ever got sued back then by getting burned by hot coffee. :boo:

Great progression of the photos, Woody! Excellent presentation! Thanks. (thumbs u

I know that 18th and 19th century coins regularly had mintages of under 100,000, but to me its a miracle that they were able to even make that many.

Thanks for the post Woody