• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This coin DIDN"T grade as I expected, can you tell me what the real grade is?

25 posts in this topic

Why didn't it grade Mike? It looks EF45 to me with some nice color.

If I may edeit to add, the only thing I see may be a couple hairlines on the Obv & Rev if I'm seeing right in the pics.

The flat relief of this hub type often makes wear look heavier than it actually is. This coin seems to have only a dusting of wear over flatly developed designs. The availability of original mint luster will either confirm or deny this, but it looks like at least an XF45 if what I see in the fields is luster. AU50 maxium.

If I may edeit to add, the only thing I see may be a couple hairlines on the Obv & Rev if I'm seeing right in the pics.

He didnt say it DID NOT GRADE - he said it wasnt what he was expecting.

I say you were disappointed at a VF35 when thinking a XF45

can you tell me what the real grade is?

Suppose the grade was MORE than expected?

That would be to unusual, but Mr. King is looking for the real grade which is going to be hard to judge, I think the question should be modified to:

can you tell me what the accurate grade is?

I'm thinking this is close to an XF-40 dependant on luster. All the standard high points indicate slight circulation abrasion so AU is out the window. To me it's way better than VF condition, but who knows what went through the graders minds when this one was assigned.

I'm sticking with XF

He didnt say it DID NOT GRADE - he said it wasnt what he was expecting.

Thanks Mike, guess I read it wrong. It looks better than VF35 for sure!

Judging how my NGC AU50 looks, my guess is it should grade XF 40. Maybe 45 if the luster is strong, but 40 may be about right. Still nice no matter what.

You hit it right on the nose. How did you do that? You must be psychic!!!

40, I could accept, surely, but 35????!!!!! meh

MikeKing

I have to go with many of the others. I think VF 35 was a bit harsh. The grading crew must have missed their coffee break. I don't believe that it is quite a 45, but I remain comfortable with a 40. Sorry you didn't get the results you hoped for. :(

RI AL

You hit it right on the nose. How did you do that? You must be psychic!!!

40, I could accept, surely, but 35????!!!!! meh

I know what your thinking ALL the time _ CAREFUL

:insane:

Looks EF40 to me but VF35 isn't much different except in the cost dept.! I like the coin it should have got a bump for the look at least!

Interesting reading the discussion. I had this coin pegged in my mind as EF45. A grade of VF35 would disappoint me too, Mike. Given what appears to be lustrous fields I toyed with it being an AU50. From the picture I would still grade it EF45.

James-Early US.

Would you mind explaining what you mean when you said "graded by die marriage"? I am missing something here and I'd like to learn from your experience.

Many thanks.

RI Al

It's November and 66 degrees here...I LEFT Miami because I like the COLD weather.

Would you mind explaining what you mean when you said "graded by die marriage"? I am missing something here and I'd like to learn from your experience.

Some dies were poor to begin with, and not capable of imparting sharp details. Therefore, any coin struck off those dies will tend to look weaker than the technical grade. In other words, if an uncirculated coin was struck from dies that were very weak, such that the details looked like EF details, should you grade it EF? or MS-6X? This is part of "technical grading", which is how coins must be graded if grading by die marriage. In this case, it should still grade MS-6X, even though it looks like an EF coin.

On the other hand, when grading by type, the coin being graded is compared to all the other coins in the series, those that come nice, and those that come ugly. Thus, the EF looking coin that is technically UNC would still only grade EF, because it looks like only the other "EF" coins in the series.

Hope this helps....