• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM 1881-S Morgan

10 posts in this topic

My first adventure with Photobucket and my new(hard to focus macro & supermacro feature) camera. My first NGC submission was pretty disasterous. Only 2 of 5 graded. 1879 Morgan was improperly cleaned. 1916-D 25c and 1856 cent environmental damage. I want to pre-screen some of my NGC subs with all of you experts before I waste 3 more gradings. Please tell me if these picts can tell you if 1881-S Morgan was cleaned and approx. grade. Thanks so much.

1881-SM1rev-3flash.jpg1881-Sobv-2withflash.jpg

I would gladly pre-screen your coins for you if you pay for shipping, and I would do it for free (unless we're talking hundreds of coins). Please do not waste money on coins that have little chance of certifying, or do not warrant the cost. As you've discovered, it can get expensive.

I would gladly pre-screen your coins for you if you pay for shipping, and I would do it for free (unless we're talking hundreds of coins). Please do not waste money on coins that have little chance of certifying, or do not warrant the cost. As you've discovered, it can get expensive.

BTW there Golden Oldie. James is a very reputable and knowledgeable member of this forum.

Did you say 1856 cent?Is that a 1856 Flying eagle? Even though it may be damaged it's still worth a lot of money. You can have it authenticated and possibly conserved and then details graded through NCS. They are affiliated with NGC. I would say it would be necessary to have it at least authenticated.

The picture does not show a lot about that 1881-S dollar, but it shows enough for me to say that it's not really worth slabbing. I'd say that the coin would grade somewhere in the MS-63 to 64 range. The wholesale Gray Sheet bid prices for the 1881-S dollar are $38 in MS-63 and $51 in MS-64. I think that you could expect getting 10% less than those numbers from a dealer who was willing to buy the coin.