• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP a neat 1817 CBH with lotsa cracks

12 posts in this topic

This is the 105"A" model with cracks, clashes, die lumps, shooting stars, u-name-it. A wonderful example that may even be a trifle under-graded at XF 45, making it a border-line condition census coin for this R4- die pairing.

100_1710.jpg

100_1711.jpg

Love it !! Looks better then XF 45 . Was this recently graded by NGC ?

I have seen Slabbed Au50 – Au53 coins that look like this one .

Based on the photo this is at least an AU 50 in my book . I can not see enough ware on either side to make this XF45 . The only issue’s I see on the observe is a weak clasp and some obvious ware on the other high spots. Maybe those left wing feathers are worn down more then is showing in the photo.

You can send it to me , I will self slab it as AU 55 but I may not send it back to you.

(thumbs u

Love it !! Looks better then XF 45 . Was this recently graded by NGC ?

I have seen Slabbed Au50 – Au53 coins that look like this one .

Based on the photo this is at least an AU 50 in my book . I can not see enough ware on either side to make this XF45 . The only issue’s I see on the observe is a weak clasp and some obvious ware on the other high spots. Maybe those left wing feathers are worn down more then is showing in the photo.

You can send it to me , I will self slab it as AU 55 but I may not send it back to you.

(thumbs u

Yes this is a more recently slabbed NGC coin. Thing is, NGC typically grades heavily toned lightly worn yet weakly detailed coins as XF rather than AU. The luster is there on this coin, just dulled by years of toning. Now I can go either way on the grade for this one, but paying XF45 money for this coin is more comforting than having to pay AU money for it and people telling me it really should be XF. :grin: