• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's going on with this $10 Lib?

24 posts in this topic

Is that happening in the holder before your eyes? :o

Can't really tell from the pics, but do you think it is actually copper toning? Like instead of spots, the copper got very concentrated over a larger area?

hmm the reverse I can see Marks answer as a possiblity

but the Obverse above the head scares me ...

almost looks like putty over a scratch and a hole

:o

66406.jpg.2cf2d2733198852fc0692b240496233f.jpg

Putty is much different in color than that. ;)

Putty is much different in color than that.

Perhaps but there is a definte 'hole'ish thing being covered over.

Putty came to my mind as well. At an angle, the darker orange spots turn to gray in the right light.
There is nothing about the color in the images that looks anything like putty, which is typically hazy/very light in hue.

Putty came to my mind as well. At an angle, the darker orange spots turn to gray in the right light.
There is nothing about the color in the images that looks anything like putty, which is typically hazy/very light in hue.

Mark,

At first, I thought the gray was just scuffs on the plastic. It's a very light color, almost white; which is why I mistook it for scuffs. Does that sound like putty to you, or no? Please educate me.

Mark,

At first, I thought the gray was just scuffs on the plastic. It's a very light color, almost white; which is why I mistook it for scuffs. Does that sound like putty to you, or no? Please educate me.

"Almost white" sounds like what putty can look like when it turns bad. But if that's the case it doesn't jive with the darker color in the images. Also, the rest of the coin looks OK, and I doubt there is anything that someone would bother covering up with putty on a coin of that quality/grade.

It does look like dip residue but I have never seen gold react like these colors but then I have never dipped a gold coin. Do you think Jeweluster would do this?

Dip residue, eh?

I've seen a few coins with interesting patches like that.

One even appealed to me because I felt the color to be unusual and interesting. But it was not a patina with a 'deep fiery look'. It was some sort of thin surface effect. Sort of like iridescence.

In fact, I narrowly avoided buying an item with such a patina. But it bugged me. It failed the "am I comfortable with it" test. I guess it probably was surface contamination.

Now, I am very very glad I made that decision.

Yay for these forums!!!

The sad part is you usually can't tell that the coin has been dipped just after it has been done and the coin has been slabbed. It crops up months after when it is too late.

The sad part is you usually can't tell that the coin has been dipped just after it has been done and the coin has been slabbed. It crops up months after when it is too late.

This is the reason I like buying coins in older holders rather than one just back from being graded. Although I did get fooled by buying a coin that had a nice russet toning going on. That is until I found out that the toning was damn dip residue!

This is the reason I like buying coins in older holders rather than one just back from being graded. Although I did get fooled by buying a coin that had a nice russet toning going on. That is until I found out that the toning was damn dip residue!

That's precisely the reason I only buy copper coins in older holders. Copper is notorious for turning in the holder. I guess I'll have to do that for all coins now... :sorry: