• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here’s one to ponder, includes poll?

Wear Characteristics  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Wear Characteristics

37 posts in this topic

The simple question is, which equally struck Mint State coin would take longer to wear down in normal circulation, or in this case, first to reach say an XF-45 condition, the Franklin Half Dollar or the Roosevelt Dime? Or, would they both turn out to wear down at the same pace?

Place your thoughts with the poll and your comments will also be welcomed.

The stats:

1948 ROOSEVELT Dime

Diameter: ±17.9 millimeters

Weight: ±38.6 grains (±2.50 grams)

1948 Franklin Half Dollar

Diameter: ±30 millimeters

Weight: ±193 grains (±12.5 grams)

The metal content is the same,

Silver - 90%, Copper - 10% and they both have reeded edges and were minted at the Mother Mint in Philadelphia, PA.

Based on my experience as a paperboy when silver coins still circulated I'd say the Roosevelt Dime. A week's worth of papers cost 67 Cents and many customers paid with exact change. I rarely received 50 Cent coins and came home with pockets stuffed with smaller denomination coins when I collected.

Based on my experience as a paperboy when silver coins still circulated I'd say the Roosevelt Dime. A week's worth of papers cost 67 Cents and many customers paid with exact change. I rarely received 50 Cent coins and came home with pockets stuffed with smaller denomination coins when I collected.

That is not what the question was asking.

I would say the Franklin would. It has more mass, resulting in much higher friction.

I have to agree here also if the questiuon is based on normal circulation of both coins. The dime as it would probably be circulated more than the half dollar.

I have to agree here also if the questiuon is based on normal circulation of both coins. The dime as it would probably be circulated more than the half dollar.

Exactly. WoodenJefferson's "normal circulation" is what I was basing my original reply on. In the course of change-making the lower denominations are used much more frequently. Anybody remember "3 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickel"? Growing up that amount, or a part of it, was sufficient to make many purchases. I rarely broke a dollar bill, using coins instead to buy the stuff kids bought back then.

You know, this is a great question and a cool poll! I'm surprised the question hasn't been asked before hm ...

I am sure there is a right answer with empirical evidence to back it up, but I am going to guess they are "equal", more or less.

Well, I am going to assume the question is referring to a pair of coins which has circulated roughly equal amounts. Yes, looking at the entire population the Roosevelt dime circulated more. Thus, you are more likely to find more worn dimes. However, a comparison of the two coins which had circulated roughly equal amounts will give another view to the question.

I believe, with absolutely no evidence at all, that the dime would wear down more quickly. The half dollar is much larger than the dime, so when you go to pick up the coin, your fingers cover a much larger portion of the dime's surface - inducing wear over a larger area. Assuming a similar number of uses per coin, the higher percentage of area used on the surface will wear the dime down faster.

Very interesting results are already accumulating with regards to this question.

So far, I think most are on the right track to dispel or prove their point.

I believe, with absolutely no evidence at all, that the dime would wear down more quickly. The half dollar is much larger than the dime, so when you go to pick up the coin, your fingers cover a much larger portion of the dime's surface - inducing wear over a larger area. Assuming a similar number of uses per coin, the higher percentage of area used on the surface will wear the dime down faster.

However... being of far greater weight and mass, the half-dollar requires a stronger grip to hold than the dime. Therefore, though a smaller surface area is worn, it is worn to a greater extent than for the dime!

(Just being argumentative here - I have no idea what I am talking about :grin: .)

However... being of far greater weight and mass, the half-dollar requires a stronger grip to hold than the dime. Therefore, though a smaller surface area is worn, it is worn to a greater extent than for the dime!

(Just being argumentative here - I have no idea what I am talking about :grin: .)

Yeah, but static friction would not cause wear. hm

:devil:

The simple question is, which equally struck Mint State coin would take longer to wear down in normal circulation, to say an XF-45 condition, the Franklin Half Dollar or the Roosevelt Dime? Or, would they both turn out to wear down at the same pace?

The stats:

1948 ROOSEVELT Dime

Silver - 90%, Copper - 10% and they both have reeded edges and were minted at the Mother Mint in Philadelphia, PA.

Your poll answers are worded differently than the question you ask in the first paragraph:

Which equally struck Mint State coin would take longer to wear down in normal circulation?

VS

The Franklin Half Dollar will be first to reach XF-45 status

OR

The Roosevelt Dime will be the first coin to reach XF-45 status.

It has been mentioned that the half have more surface area then the dime,(2.78 times) which may be a factor in wear, but I think another dimensional aspect plays a larger role. hm

Looking at both coins the relief of the devices look to me to be deeper on the half, not only are the details on the half larger in area they're higher too, the details are larger in all three dimensions.

So lets assume an equal amount of circulation will wear both coin's surfaces at the same rate, in that equal height is lost to wear. The silver worn off would only measure several thousands of an inch on the top of the dimes devices to get to an extra fine. The same depth of loss to the larger and deeper designs of a Franklin Half would show less detail lost, the half would be a higher grade and it would have to wear more to reach EF.

Make sense?? (thumbs u

Tomorrow a work I will try to measure the height of the devices on a dime and half, I'm very curious about this now...

The simple question is, which equally struck Mint State coin would take longer to wear down in normal circulation, to say an XF-45 condition, the Franklin Half Dollar or the Roosevelt Dime? Or, would they both turn out to wear down at the same pace?

The stats:

1948 ROOSEVELT Dime

Your poll answers are worded differently than the question you ask in the first paragraph:

Which equally struck Mint State coin would take longer to wear down in normal circulation?

VS

The Franklin Half Dollar will be first to reach XF-45 status

OR

The Roosevelt Dime will be the first coin to reach XF-45 status.

added statement> or in this case, first to reach

The way I see it the dime would wear less the half would wear faster. Why the half has more mass /weight which would equal friction = wear. The dime would not wear as quickly

even though it is thinner it weigh is far less.Thats just taking into account wear now the dime may circulate alot more than the half and because of that it could wear down in a quicker time. But with the same amount of usage the dime would wear less. But I could be wrong.

Assuming that the two coins circulated (changed hands) at the same rate, which of course is not true, (the half dollars circulated more slowly), I voted for the Franklin. The Frankie has more of the design subject to rub because the protective rims are further from the design. The dime has the rims closer to the portrait that would protect it while the coin is in circulation. On the reverse the same would be true. The Liberty Bell is out by itself and would get a lot of initial rub. The torch and leaves on the dime are close to the legend and would be better protected.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Speaking as someone who has studied the matter and written about it a number of times, I'd like to chime in.

First, coins do not wear from contact with people's hands; they wear from contact with one another and with other hard surfaces, such as cash register drawers, counter tops, etc.

If the two coin types in question were to turn over (circulate) at the same rate, the half dollar would wear more quickly due to its greater mass and its greater exposed surface relative to the protective rims. In fact, half dollars circulated with greatly reduced frequency after World War II, and this was first evident with respect to the Franklin type. But even before the war halves experienced more idle time than the lesser silver pieces. They were simply more likely to be set aside in piggy banks as a popular form of savings, while the lesser coins enjoyed greater utility in making change. This can be seen in the higher survival rate of half dollars in the grades of F-XF for the Barber and Walking Liberty types, while contemporary dimes and quarters are rare in any grade above VG.

Now that inflation has rendered most of our coins useless, the quarter dollar, as the most useful denomination, seems to wear the most quickly. Dimes and lesser coins end up in jars until they're eventually dumped into a CoinStar machine. Heavily worn cents and nickels are rarely seen in circulation today. Dimes, which do circulate somewhat, are too lightweight to receive much wear in the current copper-nickel-clad composition, which is far more durable than the silver-copper alloy of earlier years. Collecting silver coins from circulation as a child, I rarely saw anything grading higher than Fine after ten years of wear. A 30-year-old silver coin would be dateless or nearly so.

The height of the obverse, from the field to high point of the portrait:

Franklin Half .011"/.012"

Roosevelt Dime .006"/.007"

I'll stand by my opinion the that the dime would wear to XF first.

So, in essence you are saying that the devices raise .001 of an inch off the surface of the fields in both coins or the average height of the devices off the field are between .011-.012 thousandths for the Franklin and .006-.007 thousandths for the Roosevelt?

Just a clarification?

The half's devices might be twice as high, but they will be exposed to five times as much friction.

I'm talking the height,

As far as the 5 times pressure do to the weight of both, remember the small area of a woman's high heel creates a lot of psi way over her own weight, same for the dime it may be lighter but it's weight is distributed over an area 3 times smaller.

But I do think that these factors pale when compared to the over all difference in total mass difference in the devices of each coin, Ben's head is way bigger than Frank's...

I'm talking the height,

As far as the 5 times pressure do to the weight of both, remember the small area of a woman's high heel creates a lot of psi way over her own weight, same for the dime it may be lighter but it's weight is distributed over an area 3 times smaller.

But I do think that these factors pale when compared to the over all difference in total mass difference in the devices of each coin, Ben's head is way bigger than Frank's...

I could be mistaken here, but I believe that pressure is irrelevant when it comes to friction

Fr=Fn*u, right?

I'm talking the height,

I could be mistaken here, but I believe that pressure is irrelevant when it comes to friction

Fr=Fn*u, right?

Then so would the weight be irrelevant too.

First, coins do not wear from contact with people's hands; they wear from contact with one another and with other hard surfaces, such as cash register drawers, counter tops, etc.

Good point david!

What is the original question ?

Are we comparing two coins that emerged during the same period with same composition and thus we are comparing actual wear on those coins going through the ACTUAL past-to-present wear/ life cycle....or are we saying in a controlled environment , where there is no hoarding or collecting or setting aside , but pure everyday non-stop usage where both coins were actually spent continually ?

I'm talking the height,

Fr=Fn*u, right?

Then so would the weight be irrelevant too.

But the Fn=mg=weight