• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Example of EBAY/PAYPAL's help to the SELLERS ..

20 posts in this topic

with their new pricing structure.

A current auction that just closed.

Raw 1879cc Morgan Dollar

Sold: $$221.03

Listing fees:35c

EBAY FVF:$9.05 Bunch of mess

PAYPAL Fees:$6.85 Bunch of mess

Total Fees: $16.25

Total to me excluding shipping cost: $204.78

Help the Seller my

AND people get mad at me for trying to deal external of EBAY ...

ANOTHER thing to ponder ... After EBAY deducts their fees leaving a balance of SO and SO should not this be the figure that is used by PAYPAL to deduct their fees from ??? hahahah Talk about POWERSCREWER EBAY/PAYPAL takes the cake !

It is ALMOST like double taxation isn't it ... wonder where they learned that from!

The total fees don't even add up to 10%.

If you are so worried about paying the fees....don't sell there.

Obviously you do not get it - to a small seller like myself its DOLLARS and CENTS that matter not percentage.

The small the Item dollar amount the MORE they take. For instance another example

1807 Last Year Draped Bust Cent

Sold:$40.94

List: $.55

FVF: $2.57

Paypal:$1.49

There is your 10% - They are out to kill the little guy in my mind ...

I see a lot of people buying coins from Auction sites and then trying to sell them with a mark up of % 20 – 40 % on E Bay. Most of the coins are never sold or they are sold for much less then the original asking price. You really don’t have much of a profit margin on low priced coins. The people who are making the most money selling on EBAY are those who selling the over graded raw and self slabbed junk.

What would the cost be on say a $20 item?

$20.50 + $3.50 Shipping

List Fee $0.05

FVF Fee $1.79

Paypal Fee $1.00

Total $2.84 or 13.85 Percent

Where are you getting these figures SHATZ listing fees at 5c was maybe 2 years ago unless a special

15c @ 99c start 35c at 9.99 start

He said $20 dollars not $20.50

Shipping does not apply to the equation either

:makepoint:

Where are you getting these figures SHATZ listing fees at 5c was maybe 2 years ago unless a special

15c @ 99c start 35c at 9.99 start

Shipping does not apply to the equation either

I was giving an example of a coin that I sold for $20.50. I was just showing

how much shipping was because you have to pay a paypal fee on the total amount.

and sorry I the starting price was $0.15

He said $20 dollars not $20.50

:screwy:

These days I'll rarely settle something through eBay if I know the seller is a board member. There are cases where I've gotten small price reductions because the seller no longer had to pay fees. It can sometimes be win-win and I don't know why peole would be upset with you for trying to get away from eBay.

I know coinman1794 is planning to revamp his own store website and get off eBay for the most part.

I wish eBay would stop nickel and diming people and just switch to a paypal inclusive percentage system (e.g., charge 5% of the sale price for items under $20, 6% under $100, 8% over 100 or something like that). I'm not necessarily saying they should lower their overall take (it would be nice, though), but they should simplify sellers' calculation of the eBay/Paypal fees.

eBay is providing a venue to sell which nobody else is providing (as well) in the marketplace and they deserve some measure of compensation for that. If a seller isn't making a substantial enough increase in sales price by selling on eBay compared to the sales price they'd make off eBay, then they shouldn't be trying to sell that item on eBay. If eBay wants the extra business, they'll lower fees until they balance their profit with greater volume and lower fees.

[quote=SchatzyJr I was just showing

how much shipping was because you have to pay a paypal fee on the total amount.

you are correct about that which was NOT accounted for in Either calculation

:makepoint: for paypal amounts.

The only good thing about ebay, is if your a buyer! I've sold some of my coins, and have some for auction now. And I know a nice chunk will go to ebay/paypal. The fees are a bit rediculous with the amount of auctions/material that is sold on ebay. Where's all that money going???

I was selling off a lot of stuff years ago and the $20 or so items made me think it wasn't worth all the effort and fees. I was spending too much on the listing fees.

This made me almost quit selling on Ebay.

I was selling off a lot of stuff years ago and the $20 or so items made me think it wasn't worth all the effort and fees. I was spending too much on the listing fees.

This made me almost quit selling on Ebay.

Its worse now as the get it on the tail end more and as SHATZ pointed out they even get 3.5 percent of your shipping costs when paid through paypal ...

Its worse now as the get it on the tail end more and as SHATZ pointed out they even get 3.5 percent of your shipping costs when paid through paypal ...

I didn't know this! Whats next

I didn't know this! Whats next

Actually Paypal charges 2.9% + .30 on the total amount that is sent to you thru paypal.

They are out to kill the little guy in my mind ...

Yes they are. They've basically outright said this. They do not want the casual seller to list items. They want a giant company to list thousands of identical items. eBay is changing its business model.

I will not fool with the Bay for items less than $100, especially with the FB and fee changes. I have transitioned to doing more shows and will rely on the Bay less and less.

I think if your just gonna blow out a bunch of stuff - Teletrade has lower sellers cost but their buyers fees will keep the bids down.