• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it with 1963 Franklins ????

16 posts in this topic

When you see postings of colorful Franklins for sale, most are of the 1963 variety...

Was there something in production in this year which is different than the rest that makes them more prevalent to toning than other years,

or is it co-incidence that a lot of them are coming up for sale at the same time ...

Packaging ??? Storage ?? Doctors???

My knee-jerk reaction is to recall that most are of the 1957 and 1958 issues, primarily the D-mint coins, because of the US Mint Set packaging from these years.

1957 and 58 are the most colorful dates in the series, by far, becuase the mint set packaging for those 2 years created amazing rainbow colors at a frequency that no other dates can rival. Second in line is 1956. After 1958, plastic packaging was introduced, and most color coins thereafter come from rolls.

Colorful, natural, 1963 franklins are roll-end toned coins, and tend to have rainbow rings of primarily red, orange, and green color. 1963 color coins in general are scarce, and this date has been targeted for AT becuase of the premium that can be made on them. However, the 1963 50C tends to be one of the most available in original rolls, so you will see more roll-end toned 1963s than other dates. My guess is you are seeing a mixture of natural and artificial.

Must be coincidence that a lot are coming up I guess .. Thanx for the input.

TomB - I think they have anti-spasmodics for that knee problem of yours - I would look into it

:roflmao:

Must be coincidence that a lot are coming up I guess .. Thanx for the input.

TomB - I think they have anti-spasmodics for that knee problem of yours - I would look into it

:roflmao:

hm (thumbs u

Not much to add here, I guess. James, you are correct - after the heyday of toned coins in 1957 and 1958, the mint changed their packaging from the cardboard holders to mylar. This effectively took away the primary source of nicely toned coins. Occasionally, you will find EORs (end of roll), or album pieces, or envelope toners. Sy has quite a few nice envelope toned pieces from this period if you go look at his set.

The other thing to note about 1963, especially the D mint, is that it had the highest mintage of the Franklin series by far. Over 60 million, if I recall correctly. The quality is terrible - bagmarks overwhelm the 1963D even more so than alot of the other D mints issues. The strike is also rather poor; after the hub was reworked in 1960, the bell lines did not receive the attention they needed and thus FBLs are much harder. However, because the mintage was so huge for 1963D, there are a lot of MS-64 FBLs available (even though percentagewise, they are small). What the very large mintage also means is that a large number of them were put away in rolls - hence the seemingly large number of EORs.

I would be suspicious if I started seeing a large number of similarly toned Franklins from the 1959 - 1963 period, especially if they seem rather attractive. Good toners on these years are very hard to find! As others have mentioned, these years especially have been targeted by AT'ers because they are so rare.

I swear someone has it in for me ... I did a search over there for 1963 Frankies and two of the auctions that WERE listed were killed by Ebay and a third one has the picture gone ... (shrug)

1957 and 58 are the most colorful dates in the series, by far, becuase the mint set packaging for those 2 years created amazing rainbow colors at a frequency that no other dates can rival. Second in line is 1956. After 1958, plastic packaging was introduced, and most color coins thereafter come from rolls.

Colorful, natural, 1963 franklins are roll-end toned coins, and tend to have rainbow rings of primarily red, orange, and green color. 1963 color coins in general are scarce, and this date has been targeted for AT becuase of the premium that can be made on them. However, the 1963 50C tends to be one of the most available in original rolls, so you will see more roll-end toned 1963s than other dates. My guess is you are seeing a mixture of natural and artificial.

That a nice little bundle of information there, Douglas. It would take lots of hands-on experience to have such esoteric knowledge. (thumbs u

You coin-guru, you! :grin:

I have only owned a total of maybe (4) full sets of Franklin's but most of the outrageously toned ones that I have seen or owned have been 1958 coins.

I would have to agree, I have a few 58d with great rainbow toning. The 57d would be the next best year for great toning but a lot harder to find with crazy rainbow toning like with the 58-d franklins.