• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Collecting Software

19 posts in this topic

All the major publications will have at least one ad for collecting software. It’s not free but they are less than 50$.

With a little work EXCEL works really nicely for me.

Does anyone know where i can get a solid coin collecting software to catalog my coins? i need to insert pictures and all pertanant information about my coins for insurance purposes. also does anyone have any "freeware" type of this program?

I go to numismaster.com and use their software which I believe is free. If I paid for it I don't remember doing so. I'm pretty sure it's free and I like it. There's places to enter all kinds of data and photos. BTW it's a secure web site and all that so I feel pretty good about it.

Let me know how your search ends and what software you selected.

I also have CoinsPlus which I paid for and am not that happy with.

Good Luck

I have tried them all for the most part, and settled on CoinManage. It is well worth the 50 bux.

However, it is a thorough piece of software, and requires a learning curve to get the most out of it....and to learn all the features.

I have my collections on it now and would not be without it...

MM

Many of us use Excel and it is free on quite a few computers.

TomB - Can you or anyone else post a screen of their EXCEL work? Just a random page so I can see what it looks like?

I use LOTUS WORD PRO because it's easy to insert an entry line if I get something new in my Canadian stuff. I am not very literate when it comes to spread sheets and don't understand what all one can do with them.

I use ProCoin for inventory control, but as a back up(I actually like better) I use Excel XP. It allows you to instantaneously change it to your needs. It offers mouse over pictures of your coin(as many as you need-suchas before dipping and after, before NCS-NGC-PCGS-ANACS-whatever and after). Simple to use. I would recommend this to anyone. I've provided a sample pic. Good luck.

Jim

copy.jpg

I have been using Pro-Coin for about a yr & a half now. Works pretty good. I've had a couple gliches here and there but thier tech support is very prompt (email only). I like it! Oh yea, cheaper too!

I use Excel. I have a few spreadsheets, all broken down and customized exactly how I like them. I have it set up to automatically update bullion prices, and from that all sorts of my lower value mostly bullion coins update automatically. I have my Franklin and Bust half collections to pull the most recent prices from PCGS, Numismedia, Heritage, and a couple other places, average them according to how I feel they should be weighted, and update my collection's value.

I do like that mouse over picture feature, I think I'm going to have to figure out how to do that.

Should be just a right click over the cell and "Insert Comment". I think that's how he did it. I'm gonna work on that myself as I like it very much.

I'd love to see your spreadsheets there Physicsman. Any chance of that?

I tried taking screenshots, but they didn't come out very well. If you PM me your email, I'll just send you one of them.

I just found a link that explains how to add picture comments. Looks like a lot of work is in my future (a quick summary of my pictures folder indicates I have 550 pictures!), but I will probably be doing it because it is so darn cool!

http://www.mrexcel.com/tip089.shtml

I use ProCoin for inventory control, but as a back up(I actually like better) I use Excel XP. It allows you to instantaneously change it to your needs. It offers mouse over pictures of your coin(as many as you need-suchas before dipping and after, before NCS-NGC-PCGS-ANACS-whatever and after). Simple to use. I would recommend this to anyone. I've provided a sample pic. Good luck.

Jim

copy.jpg

I like that also Jim. I wouldn't mind setting up an Excel program aslo as a backup, but all I have is Microsoft works. Very limited!!

I like that also Jim. I wouldn't mind setting up an Excel program aslo as a backup, but all I have is Microsoft works. Very limited!!

I believe OpenOffice.org calc is free and it has a spreadsheet. So you might want to try it.