• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent acquisition - 1843O small date $2.5

11 posts in this topic

It's a southern mint for sure but not quite the D or C mint I'm still hoping to get. Even so, I like this piece. It's a bit used but has acquired some character over the decades. I am certainly no expert but it seems that a lot of gold from this time has a similar look to it.

65886.jpg.5631eb52b1166a780c49667702ee913b.jpg

Nice quarter eagle, Neil. "O" mint coins are notoriously poorly struck and yours is well struck with good hair detail and a full left foot on the eagle. Nice for a New Orleans gold coin.

That looks like a really nice coin and the O-mint pieces can be quite scarce, too, even though they do not appear to have the same rabid following as the C-and D-mint pieces.

looks like a well balanced "gem" circ. coin with really good eye appeal

also the o mintmark is underrated as compaired to its more fully priced d and c mint brothers

maybe the former new orleans mint will eventually be under water due to global warming and also being located in a fish bowl surrounded by a huge body of water

only time will tell

Thanks everyone. It's in a NGC AU50 slab right now. The more I look into old gold the more I'm realizing the truth of what some people have been saying for a long time: good ones are hard to find and there's a lot to learn. :)