• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the dignostics for a High Relief PEACE - 1922

16 posts in this topic

Having no knowledge of a few of the collections I bought I am looking for insight on a few items - This one is a 1922 Peace / Is the the high relief version ??

65838.jpg.0ceac4198b8efefb5304a64fd5477b8f.jpg

True, as far as I know, in 1922 the Matte Finish is the only one struck with a Hi Relief features and command 5 figures to the left of the decimal point.

1921's, now that a different story all together.

True, as far as I know, in 1922 the Matte Finish is the only one struck with a Hi Relief features and command 5 figures to the left of the decimal point.

Actually, a very small number of non-proof 1922 high reliefs have been found. Here's a link to a story about one of them: see here

Actually, a very small number of non-proof 1922 high reliefs have been found. Here's a link to a story about one of them: see here

C00l ... Diagnostic are stated below according to the article

"Differences between this presently unique 1922 Peace dollar and the Low Relief business strikes of 1922 are discernable in the rays protruding from Liberty's hair and in the style of the digits used in the date.

The 9 in the date on the coin just discovered is more closed than the 9 on the standard circulating coins. The bottoms of the 2s in the date on the High Relief coin are curved, while the bottoms of the 2s on the standard 1922 dollars are straight.

The coin just found has an extra ray above the N in ONE on the reverse that is not found on the circulating coins."

While NGC officials are calling the new find a 1922 High Relief dollar, David Lange, director of research for NGC, said that the relief is actually less than that used on the 1921 and Proof 1922 Peace dollars, but greater than that used on the circulating 1922 and later Peace dollars.

So...do you call it "Medium Relief" ? :devil:

That was a good atricle Mark, Jgrinz, keep looking!

Jgrinz, keep looking!

It just looked better than the other one I had hence the question - Mine is a regular issue as previously stated by a Poster.

The Coin World story is incorrect. The coin that was discovered is the only known example of the Medium Relief design. (The description quoted above does not match either 1922 HR or 1922 LR – it is simply a different design.)

There are:

1921 HR sandblast & satin proofs

1922 HR circulation trial strikes (not proofs) w/1921 rev

1922 HR sandblast proofs (but same rev as MR, below)

1922 MR (the lone example – 1 sandblast and 1 satin proof struck out of 3,200 pieces)

1922 LR trial strikes (approximately 200,000, + several million from same hubs)

1922 LR sandblast & satin proofs

Details will be in the Guide Book of Peace Dollars out in November. For more detail, look in Renaissance of American Coinage 19161-1921 which also includes all the original archive references.

This might be a dumb comment, but the 1921 Uncirculated Peace $ that I had was so that you could not lay a straight edge across from rim to rim in several areas because of the high relief. I guess that fact the dies did not last and actually broke and the coins would not stack was all the info they needed to change the design.

Jim

The feature I always look at is the ray that touches the right side of the E in LIBERTY. On the High and medium relief coins it extends just to the top of the bottom leg of the E. On the low relief coins it extends well above the bottom leg, almost reaching the level of the middle leg. Once you know to look for that it becomes an arms length identification.

I guess that fact the dies did not last and actually broke and the coins would not stack was all the info they needed to change the design.

According to the Philadelphia Mint, the pressure used on the first 1921 dies was so great that the dies shattered when they failed – not simply cracking.

Also, the HR 1922 obverse had been prepared several days before the 1921 coins were released, so stacking had no influence on altering coin relief. According to newspaper reports, the 1921 coins stacked without problem.