• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The history of US Postage Rates

14 posts in this topic

That's pretty interesting. It looks like the last 3 yrs have been the most consecutive rate hikes in history.

The saddest part is that the service at the PO has not changed to an acceptible level. Like most government subsudiaries and/or agencies, they are terribly inefficient.

The saddest part is that the service at the PO has not changed to an acceptible level. Like most government subsudiaries and/or agencies, they are terribly inefficient.

No doubt about it! I sent a letter to my daughter in Las Vegas from Tonopah, a distance of 200 miles. I sent the letter Aug 20 and she just got it yesterday for a total fo 28 days delivery time!

Plus, I get other people's mail and packages all of the time.

:frustrated:

That's pretty interesting. It looks like the last 3 yrs have been the most consecutive rate hikes in history.

I don't believe the post office is funded by the government. I believe their entire operating costs comes from postage they charge.

Even though I have had some problems with them (read one of my latest journal entries at The Collector's Society), I still believe they offer a good service at a fair price. Remember...they deliver to every address everyday (except Sunday). No way UPS or anyone else can do that at the USPS rates.

Remember...they deliver to every address everyday (except Sunday).

And they used to deliver two or even three times a day at least to businesses in the cities. (I find it hard to believe that the business needed that many deliveries a day though.)

I have had over 1400 ebay transactions and never have lost a single piece of mail (knock on wood)..and most arrive in 2-3 days

great service in my experience--plus, where else can yoiu insure for $1000 or more for just a few dollars?

I don't believe the post office is funded by the government. I believe their entire operating costs comes from postage they charge.

Even though I have had some problems with them (read one of my latest journal entries at The Collector's Society), I still believe they offer a good service at a fair price. Remember...they deliver to every address everyday (except Sunday). No way UPS or anyone else can do that at the USPS rates.

Correct. The Post Office is no longer a Governemtn Agency per se.

No doubt about it! I sent a letter to my daughter in Las Vegas from Tonopah, a distance of 200 miles. I sent the letter Aug 20 and she just got it yesterday for a total fo 28 days delivery time!

Plus, I get other people's mail and packages all of the time.

:frustrated:

But you guys haven't upgraded to the internal combustion engine yet in Tonopah...it takes a little longer when you still have the Pony Express! ;)

What I don't understand is the part where you mail a simple letter from one small town to another small town just a few miles away...by the time the recipient gets the letter, the cancellation mark is from a major city hundreds of miles from either city!

What I don't understand is the part where you mail a simple letter from one small town to another small town just a few miles away...by the time the recipient gets the letter, the cancellation mark is from a major city hundreds of miles from either city!

Because the letters need to be sorted by a machine and those machines are extremely expensive and only found in large sorting centers in major cities.