• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw or slabbed? Slabbed and stickered?

Why slab?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Why slab?

8 posts in this topic

Why do you submit coins for grading by a TPG? Why would you submit them to a CAC review? I'm curious about these questions. Will dealers have a different view than collectors? Please explain your choices. Thanks!

Sorry I couldn't vote because none of the choices worked for me.

About six years I had a substantial part of my collection certified by either PCGS or NGC. The reason I did it was that I could see that raw coins could no longer bring fair money, and I wanted to get the status of the major coins in my collection settled. I had no intention of getting anything slabbed so that I could sell it.

As of now I don't want anything to do with CAC. To be frank I'm mad as hell that it exists because I resent the implication that coins now need to be "double certified." ONCE is enough. The only reasons that I would bother with CAC is if (1) it becomes and industry standard AND (2) I was getting ready to sell my collection via a major auction house. If the auction house advised me to mess with CAC I would think about it.

A dealer who posts here on a regular basis has been all over my case because of my comments about CAC. The situation has in fact eroded our mutual respect for one another. His claim is that my coins won’t need CAC to be sold at a fair price. I hope he is right, but given the lack of confidence I see from some collectors here, I’m afraid he’s not.

As dealer I can tell you that there is a lot of money to be made by buying raw coins and getting them certifed. All you need is a few "gifts" or lucky calls on the grade, and you profit margins can be headed for the sky. Ditto for the crack-out game at various times although of late I think that crack-outs have become more like "slim pickin's."

Good point on the raw coin question. It should have been an option. Likewise there should have been an "other" category on the first poll. The comment section is where you are free to amend these omissions.