• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NT or AT and Slabbed by PCGS

30 posts in this topic

I bought this some time ago. It looks ordinary brown until turned to the light. Do you think it is NT or AT? Guess the grade if you will. It was slabbed by PCGS.

Dean (shrug)

919-001.jpg

Nice reverse thumb print on the coin. The color looks off in the pictures. Is it this tan or sandy colored in hand?

Naw, that's just a reflection of a zebra strolling through the area while the OP was taking the shot.

I would like to see a bit more iridescent color rather than just a solid tinge, but I’m far from a copper expert to determine AT vs. NT

You will not be able to tell from this photo but this MS 66 Large cent has a blue tone to it. This coin was offered by Anaconda rare Coins and then Heritage when Anaconda liquidated its inventory. I am sure many of the people who collect copper are familiar with this coin. I have also seen other MS Large Cents with a Blue Tone .

So here is my question , are you guys saying that the blue tone can only be caused by this MS70 stuff?? Is it possible that a blue tone can occur naturally ?? I have seen many proof Indians with a Blue Tone , from what I have seen this is acceptable for a Proof Copper coin.

65711.jpg.4f5d735c4bb71136e2f124dd1bb996ac.jpg

I accidently deleted the photo's from my previous note. These are photo's of my 1886 typ.2 NGC PF65BN*. This is NT and Rick Snow thought so as well.

86-2-9-1.jpg

86-2-8-1.jpg

Dean

I'm no expert on copper coinage or copper toning. I have a few Lincolns that were in double mint sets with a bluish/purplish toning on them. But there are other colors in there too, the toning was not a solid blue color. I know these colors can occur naturally depending on the storage material and environmental factors. But I have yet to see copper tone a solid blue, from long-term storage, usually there are other colors that will show up with the blue toning. But I'm not to say that a solid blue toning is AT, it very well could be natural.

Not all blue/purple toning is AT, not all AT toning on Copper is blue/purple. With that being said there is just a look you can see right away when it is AT'ed with MS70.The 1919 penny shows that easy.

You will not be able to tell from this photo but this MS 66 Large cent has a blue tone to it. This coin was offered by Anaconda rare Coins and then Heritage when Anaconda liquidated its inventory. I am sure many of the people who collect copper are familiar with this coin. I have also seen other MS Large Cents with a Blue Tone .

So here is my question , are you guys saying that the blue tone can only be caused by this MS70 stuff?? Is it possible that a blue tone can occur naturally ?? I have seen many proof Indians with a Blue Tone , from what I have seen this is acceptable for a Proof Copper coin.

65711.jpg

This color (more of a blue-green) can be natural in my experience, and quite different from the bluish that comes from MS70.

That's not to say that blue-green can't be ATed (probably can), but rather that I've seen numrous 100% original coins (for instance from the Randall Hoard) with this exact color...Mike

p.s. be VERY careful with NGC 66 BN large cents. Virtually all of them are overgraded (IMO), and it is not a coincidence they languished in Anaconda's inventory.