• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctioning Counterfeit NGC Graded Coin???

8 posts in this topic

Yes it is a counterfeit, a contemporary counterfeit and they are highly collectable. Especially when they are a major error such as this piece. My guess is that NGC thought it was a genuine British Halfpenny mint error. They are great with US coins but here they were probably out of their depth and they have slabbed a counterfeit. (PCGS can't tell the real from the counterfeit from the Machins Mills pieces consistently either.)

As an aside both services will slab Machins Mills pieces, and they are counterfeits as well. (There are a few other counterfeits the services will slab as well. Mainly in the colonial series.)

Thats unfair they would not Grade my one :blahblah:

I once sent in some Conder tokens that are listed in D&H as counterfeit and NGC bagged them as counterfeit. :pullhair:

Excuse my ignorance, but in a brockage, isn't the design reversed and INCUSE on the error side?

That is correct. (Be careful examining photos of incuse images. The mind isn't used to seeing incuse features and frequently will "see" them as raised images.)