• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT?

20 posts in this topic

They look NT to me but look like they were toned in something not so good. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say but they look to have been stored in something that caused them to tone that way.

I have no doubt that they are NT. I don't much care for the dime (for several reasons: I don't like dimes, I don't much care for proofs, and I really don't like toned proofs). The Franklin is alright for a toned proof, though.

Nice proof toners. :applause: I particularly like the dime, I know the coin would look a lot better in hand. I enjoy the rim toning on proofs of that era. Congrats (thumbs u

I do like that half!!!!! Looks like the proof coins were in an album with sulfur paper, in the heat and humidity somewhere in the South I would guess. Then again maybe the coins were in an album with a sulfur source near by?

I have an album full of Morgans that are toning nicely. In a couple of years I will get them slabbed. They are in an old album "Library of Coins" with the old cardboard just full of sulfur and other stuff that will tone coins. The rims on some of the coins are a pretty blue color some have rainbow toning. The coins in my Buffalo Nickel album are all turning a honey amber color. Some of the nickels are taking on other colors as well, blue, gold, and magenta, etc. I am thinking of handing this album down to my Grandbaby, because the coins are getting just to nice to sell...IMO...

Ah, the coins are very nice, IMO of course. Thanks for the kind comments... mostly (Michael! :D ).

I was hoping that they were NT, as they were purchased quite a while ago, in old PCI holders, back in the day... in fact they are my only doily coins and not the other company that starts with a PC.. I've always thought they were NT, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I too thought maybe one of the older albums, those old Library of Coins folders are cool, but expensive now since a lot of people have figured out they tone coins nicely. I didn't "make" these, they were purchased in their current state.

The dime is NT, but for my tastes the process has gone too far. The toning on the rims has reached the point or near point of Proof surface impairment, and I've never admired spots.

I am on the fence about the half dollar. I think that it is probably natural, but I'm not 100% sure.

At any rate I prefer my toning to be a bit lighter than what we see here.

If I remember correctly all toning is damage?

It is in the opinion of some people. To others, including me, it can be a protective layer than can improve the appearance of the coin. This is especially true of old copper coins.

I like toned Proof and Mint State coins, but it can go too far. When the surfaces become dead and dull it has gone too far regardless of the color. I think I see that on these coins, or they are getting close to that stage.

I think they're NT. I can understand the reservation about the half, because they don't usually tone that way. Usually.

No, I don't believe toning = damage.

Damage is = damage, not toning.