• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchased My 1st Toned Morgan. Worthy Of A Star??

26 posts in this topic

I have to side with the ATer's here, the colors, the toning pattern near the rims, something is off. Now I am NO expert with this, but I am uncomfortable with this one, sorry.

Couple things:

a) If it looks that vibrant in hand, it's AT IMO.

b) However, I'd be willing to bet that the images are juiced. I'd wager that it is less vibrant in hand.

I'm gonna have to agree with this being AT'd. Chad is right also, if these are sellers pics, I'd wait for it to get inhand to make any other judgements.

Looks like it's in some sort of holder hm

I like the look but the purple is the color that really jumps out at me as being different from normal toning patterns I have seen and I don't see the untoned shadows below the stars and lettering around the periphery that give me a warm and fuzzy that a coin is NT. With that said...this is one I would have to see in hand to make a better judgement because it could have been cleaned and then stuck in an album which is the reason for the slightly odd coloring (shrug)

As far as the star....if it is NT.....I'd vote no but considering some of what I have seen in stared NGC holders....it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if the coin has a ton of luster and the colors pop!

It looks star-worthy to me, but I think it would bring as much of a premium as is, as it would with the star. I'm guessing that the color is a bit more subtle in-hand and that it's original.

I'm not a expert on Morgan's but if that is AT the Doctor is extraordinary. Looks like it might have resided in an album. This might be one of those coins that was cleaned or dipped long ago and retoned acceptable to the NGC grader? Maybe that is why it wasn't awarded with a Star Designation.

Dean (shrug)

I think that it needs a little more "flash" (bright luster) in the center of the obverse to really call it a star coin. I agree with Mark that the star really does not matter when it comes to price. The color will sell the coin. The star only adds some registry points, which given the MS-63 grade, really are not that important.

I think it is a very attractive coin for the grade. Along with many of the others I believe that it will be more subdued in hand. That being said, I think you made an excellent purchase for your first toned dollar!

It looks star-worthy to me, but I think it would bring as much of a premium as is, as it would with the star. I'm guessing that the color is a bit more subtle in-hand and that it's original.

I agree the picture has been juiced but even with color subtling :) it is a striking coin and looks like a slight under grade too.

I would do a grade AND designation review :) But thats me :insane:

To be perfectly honest, the coin looks like an MS-62 that was given a point bump for the color (which I like very much). Thus, I would not expect it to get an MS-63 "star". What if it came back MS-62 "star"? Which grade would you prefer, MS-63 or MS-62 "star" hm ?

Frankly I don't see anything in the image that says MS62? Nothing says 64 to me either but MS62's can be pretty beat up and I see nothing holding the reverse back from a 64 or higher and the obverse doesn't appear to have a ton of the chatter commonly found on a 62 but it's a tough image to grade from.....

The coin looks OK to me and I would guess NGC as well. I wonder if the colors on the reverse might be off a tad in the photo. The only difference in NT and AT is the time it takes for the toning to occur anyway!

..... The only difference in NT and AT is the time it takes for the toning to occur anyway!
That is incorrect in many instances, and important enough so that I couldn't let it slide.

Frankly I don't see anything in the image that says MS62?

I thought the luster was rather subdued, but it could just be the images.

I agree that I can't see the luster from those images....I was just looking at the surface marks as most imagers can get the color or the luster but not both......

but us good one's....well you get the idea lol

I believe the 82 is NT. The images look to have been juiced up quite a bit, Looks like it had a long life in an old album and mother nature was nice enough to add some character to it. I find the toning rather attractive, but star worthy, it could go both ways, but I would have to say no. I don't believe I have seen but a few album toned Morgans STAR. As the toning is more subdued and not as colorful as a bag toned Morgan. JMO, but I like your coin too. (thumbs u