• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1868 Two cent Piece

13 posts in this topic

I picked this one up raw on eBay. The obverse pictures came out pretty good but I had trouble with the reverse. The reverse is not quite as nice as the obverse but not as bad as my images indicate.

1868_s.jpg

I don't know what you're talking about - both sides of that coin look quite attractive. I'm going to wager MS-63 RB. I'm not entirely sure about the RB, I don't know exactly what's required for that, but I'm still seeing pretty good traces of red on there. Very nice.

It looks to be an MS-63 or 64 brown to me. I'd lean toward MS-64, but you really have to see these coins in person to nail a one point grade. There is not enough red left here to call this coin R&B IMO.

Thanks for the opinions. Most see it as an MS coin and I believe it is also.

The reverse picture didn't seem to capture the surfaces the way I wanted it to. The reverse luster is muted some compared to the obverse, suggesting to me that it could have spent some time in an old coin folder or something where the reverse was in contact with something different from the obverse. Also, on the reverse there are some small spotty areas of buildup or deposits. The don't show well in the pictures but you can sort of make them out looking like greyish areas in the image. Again, it could be build up from being in contact with a cardboard folder for years. Anyone have other ideas of what it could be or how I might be able to loosen it up?

The coin was advertised as MS60 from a seller that maybe wasn't real coin "savvy". They got the grade from this envelope that the coin came in. I thought it was likely an MS coin but I still bid at the AU level and got a good deal on it. In my opinion the obverse is at the MS63-64 level (about what everyone said) but I think the reverse is what brings it down. Still, if I were to get it slabbed it would likely go higher than MS60, but not really high enough to warrent the cost of slabbing. There also isn't enough red to make it RB.

65367.jpg.618325d7f9469dbc0f231c729e044b28.jpg

I recognized that plastic envelope as Littleton. Interesting..I was just reading an article on how conservative Littletons grading is. That and the prices are out of sight. Looks like the author were right about the grading. Looks ver MS to me.

I was just reading an article on how conservative Littletons grading is.

From what I've seen Littleton is very conservative in their grading when they are BUYING coins. I've known a couple of dealers who sent materital to them who were very disappointed with the way Littleton treated them, and these dealers are honest stand up guys. When Littleton is SELLING coins it’s another matter.

I was just reading an article on how conservative Littletons grading is.

From what I've seen Littleton is very conservative in their grading when they are BUYING coins. I've known a couple of dealers who sent materital to them who were very disappointed with the way Littleton treated them, and these dealers are honest stand up guys. When Littleton is SELLING coins it’s another matter.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the Littleton envelope. I have never bought from them so I don't have any first hand experience, but I have heard that they are conservative in grading when both buying and selling. This one seems to have been conservatively graded.

Still, I was cautious when I bid on this raw. I had bought an NGC coin from this seller before that turned out to be a good deal. I bid on this one as an AU and won it for around $70 delivered. For this scarcer date that's a good deal in my view. I'm sure Littleton charged a good bit more than that unless it was bought several years ago.