• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slightly OT: Jerry Cestkowski in the Numismatist magazine

6 posts in this topic

Page 68, Jerry Cestkowski is in the numismatist magazine from the ANA.

It says, "Jerry Cestkowski, Numismatist columnist and a whiz at card tricks and flourishes, entertained students during lunch. Some onlookers couldn't believe their eys, among them ANA vice presdient Patti Finner and past governor Brian Fanton.

Why this is significant to me is because I'm a magician as well as a flourisher, (I do flourishes with rings, fans with cards, and coins) A flourish is a display of skill some magicians do to impress the audience with their dexterity. There is also something called "XCM" or xtreme card manipulation. This is a very difficult art that a mysteriousy person by the name of de'vo von shatteureich (sp?) created. This is not his real name, and he is from germany. On all of his magic videos, his face is blurred out so it is mysterious as to who he is.

I did not know jerry wrote articles for the numismatist or was interested in numismatics. This is a great surprise and joy to me. Jerry also is in de'vo's DVDs such as XB1 and XB2 (which I just bought, it's on it's way here!)

Did anyone see him there in person?

Kevin,

Interesting indeed, in that I used to "practice" magic in my earlier years. Used to do birthday parties, etc. and actually befriended a magician in West Texas when I was a kid, would frequent his shop every time I visited my grandmother's and one day he eventually invited me to be his assistant at a local magic show he was doing, as the one placed handcuffed in a mail bag and then a trunk, resulting in the transformation/substitution from me being there to him. An experience I will never forget. I still have two trunks of my magician props and supplies in the attic and every once in a while look through them for memory sake.

(not being able to afford rabbits, I used to use my pet mice in my act, but I must say the bites were a distraction)

Thanks for sharing this OT information.

Rey

Cool Kevin,

That was once my 'thing' also. I was a friend of Gene Gordon, God rest his soul, and I used to marvel at his photo, autographed, from about 1920, of he and Houdini.

I also used to do shows as a means of income.......Loved it.

I worked with, or around, Rob Allen, Howard Eldridge, Carl Norman, Scotty Mohan, and Eddie Fechter.....

Magic used to be big in the Buffalo area......

Paul

Kevin,

Interesting indeed, in that I used to "practice" magic in my earlier years. Used to do birthday parties, etc. and actually befriended a magician in West Texas when I was a kid, would frequent his shop every time I visited my grandmother's and one day he eventually invited me to be his assistant at a local magic show he was doing, as the one placed handcuffed in a mail bag and then a trunk, resulting in the transformation/substitution from me being there to him. An experience I will never forget. I still have two trunks of my magician props and supplies in the attic and every once in a while look through them for memory sake.

(not being able to afford rabbits, I used to use my pet mice in my act, but I must say the bites were a distraction)

Thanks for sharing this OT information.

Rey

Rey, you're welcome. You seem to have fond memories about it, why don't you get back into it?

My interests seems to switch between coins and magic...and sometimes I obess over magic too, but I focus it towards practicing impulsively...so I get better at it, lol.