• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Arrows & Rays quarter

14 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: This coin may or may not be for sale at some point in the future!

Ok, now that that is out of the way,

I included two pics of the reverse to try and show the luster that is still remaining in the rays. What grade would you give it?

65217.jpg.cd75f8702ef9a54666c8cfdb30d8bc2a.jpg

65218.jpg.bed6bd01edc5d2369e42d4c4342c01e2.jpg

65219.jpg.5ddb67406ccd4850f1c2f722a4b0acd3.jpg

I have one with just a touch more detail that I bought years ago on eBay as VF35. I graded it XF40 and NGC called it XF45. I'd go with XF40 on yours and it is too white to be original.

I'm not sure what Bill means, but cleaning matters to me no matter what the grade. I've seen coins that look like that in top tier holders, but I don't buy them.

Nice LSQ, Bob. I have virtually the same coin with perhaps a little less wear-maybe not. I still like it but replaced it in my collection with a more original dark colored LSQ, which better matches my other 7070 coins.

Jim

Thanks, Jim (and others).

I may be mistaking something else for luster, but when it is rotated under a light, it has a cartwheel effect, but only in the area of the rays on the reverse. There is no luster at all remaining on the obverse.

As far as cleaning, I don't doubt that it has been at least dipped at some point. I can only account for the last 21 years of its life. :)

I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to chime in before I post the grade that Bowers and Merena gave it back in 1987.

I've been a little slow getting in on these lately. I read'em, just don't have the ambition to post. So anyway Bob, I was going to go with a VF40 on this also. I presume the coin has been dipped in it's history but the pics also look enhanced with some brightness that may make it look brighter than inhand. Nice Seated!

Disclaimer: This coin may or may not be for sale at some point in the future!

Ok, now that that is out of the way,

I included two pics of the reverse to try and show the luster that is still remaining in the rays. What grade would you give it?

Looks XF45 Cleaned. It would be worth VF money, I think.